Kids stealing freon!

Users who are viewing this thread

V

vaplumber

Just seen something interesting on the late news. Seems like kids are sneaking onto property, cracking open valves on central units, and snorting the freon. The reporter said that the kids usually close the valves and re cap fittings, leaving the homeowner with a mystery leak. Just found this interesting and thought Id share. Dont know whats coming to our world now days!

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
We also have to keep our NH3 under tight lock down. They like to steal it, if they survive, to make meth.

Paul

Pewterpower

Reaction score
That happened in our neighborhood about 3 yrs ago. Who the hell thinks this stuff up. I wish they would try huffing a car exhaust instead.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
On a national level, theft of entire condensing units is epidemic!. Between the price for scrap copper, and the black market which has developed for 10 SEER units, better get a watchdog!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
B4 I moved to OH 2 kids broke into a dentists office and stole a whole tank of laughing gas. They got it into their van and turned on the tank while sitting in a remote culdasack. About 8 hours later the cops found them in the van dead with the engine running. Freon basically does the same thing. It displaces the oxygen in your lungs and you suffocate. We had an incident here in OH where 2 men were cleaning a tank with freon and they didn't have the fans or something running and 1 was overcome with the gas without knowing it and died in the tank.

While this may seem bad the number of deaths from freon type gases pales in comparison to the number of deaths from Ethyl Alcohol.

Last edited:
R

Rancher

As it turns out, you can huff anything other than Carbon Dioxide and your body & brain will be fat dumb and happy, CO2 is what causes you to inhale/exhale, you can breath as much Argon or Helium as you want, and you will die, because you don't know you need Oxygen.

Rancher

viennamicro

Reaction score
Remember

I remember the good ole days when the kids would smoke anything - an I don't mean that wacky tabackie.

Then the only real danger was what Dad would do if he caught ya.

I recall Gramps catching me once and he made me finish the whole pile I'd rolled. Never had a puff since . . .

HANDYHACKERinFL

Reaction score
I'm sure Ethyl alcohol is responsible for a lot of deaths, but to clarify its only slightly toxic, death occurs from overdose. Its the alcohol thats drank to get drunk. In contrast, Methyl Alcohol is extremely toxic, exposure to small amounts, even the vapors, can cause blindness and death. Ethyl alcohol is often denatured for industrial use, where methyl alcohol may be added to render it undrinkable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks