Drain Cleaner & Fixture Finishes

Users who are viewing this thread

Sobershea

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Draino-type products will harm finishes like brushed nickel? I usually use a product like this once a month - or when the tub drain seems slow. My new tub will have brushed nickel so what will I be able to use to keep the drain moving freely?

Thanks.

Ps. Yes, I have heard all the arguments against getting fancy finishes but I really, really, like the brushed nickel.....

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you take a plastic spray bottle of water and spray off the finish the min. your done pouring it shouldn't harm the finish. That said if you are useing lye that may harm the finish on contact.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
arguments

Instead of reading why you should not use fancy finishes, you should have been reading the ones that tell you that drain cleaners are almost useless.

Sobershea

Reaction score
Useless Drain Cleaners /was Drain Cleaners & Fixture Finishes

hj said:
Instead of reading why you should not use fancy finishes, you should have been reading the ones that tell you that drain cleaners are almost useless.
I have heard that - but I have never been able to find out what to use. A plumber once told me to use bleach once a week... do you think that is better than a draino-type product? What do plumbers use in their own homes to keep their tub drains running freely?

TIA

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

Bleach is useless, as is a mixture of vinegar and baking soda. Imagine a sponge in the drain. Then you pour a sponge killer down the sink. When the sponge killer reaches the sponge it is going to flow through it and kill whatever it touches, but the rest of the sponge survives and regenerates the dead portion. Your drain is like that. Drano, or anything else, flows through the obsruction, but it only opens a large enough passage for itself to flow through it. It does not stay in contact with the rest of the accumulation to affect it. And consumer drain cleaners are all diluted to the point where you should not be able to hurt yourself using them, so that also limits their effectiveness. We use our snake when the drain plugs up.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you drain is constructed properly, it shouldn't back up! In the kitchen, avoid pouring grease, etc. down there that can harden and build up. If it is hard at room temps, it will harden in the pipes, at least somewhere along the way.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Most manufacturers are using a PVD process for finishes like brushed nickel. Very hard and long lasting, but I do not assume that it is safe for chemicals. If you HAVE to use drain cleaner, use a small funnel and pour carefully to not get any on the finish.

If your tub is slow every month, there is a problem which should and CAN be fixed by a proper drain cleaning machine. If you clean this out right, you will be trouble free for years.

You mentioned a new tub going in. This sounds like the perfect opportunity to get a plumber in there with the right size machine to snake out you pipes.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
if you have family members with long hair, you might consider getting a screen to put on top of the tub drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks