Funny sounds...

Users who are viewing this thread

woodrow

Reaction score
K, i just redid my bathroom, I did not have to do much plaumbing work except I did redo the valve for the shower. I went from the standard two valves to the newer single valve. No other plumbing was changed. Now that i have thebathroom finished and done with, every time water is turned on and then off in the house, you can hear and wierd "growl" coming from the walls throughout the house. Growl is not the right word, but I cant really think how to describe it. Almost as if the pipes were beingput under a tremendous strain or something. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas to what it may be and then agin, how to fix it!!!!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does this happen with both cold and hot water use?

Do you have a pressure reduction valve (prv) in the house?

Do you know if your water meter has a check valve in it?

Have you tried to turn off the valve to the toilets (they are notorious for making noise and they can run slightly if there is a flapper leak)?

What kind and brand of valve did you replace? Was it the only one in the bathroom? What about the vanity? If the cartridge is installed incorrectly, you can get a cross-connection between the hot and cold.

Do you know what the water pressure in the house is? You can buy an inexpensive (less than $10) gauge that you screw into the washing machine valve or an outdoors hose bib.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Does this happen with both cold and hot water use?

started with just hot, now it seems to be both....

Do you have a pressure reduction valve (prv) in the house?

NO idea...

Do you know if your water meter has a check valve in it?

dont think so

Have you tried to turn off the valve to the toilets (they are notorious for making noise and they can run slightly if there is a flapper leak)?

I do know that the valve to the toilet was leaking alittle, but i didnt want to try to change it because saudering in that little space just seemed crazy to me... maybe that was a dumb way to think!

What kind and brand of valve did you replace? Was it the only one in the bathroom? What about the vanity? If the cartridge is installed incorrectly, you can get a cross-connection between the hot and cold.

It was a price pfister (sp?)

Do you know what the water pressure in the house is? You can buy an inexpensive (less than $10) gauge that you screw into the washing machine valve or an outdoors hose bib.

I do not, but getting a gauge sounds like a good idea!

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
every time water is turned on and then off in the house
Do I understand correctly that turning the water on/off at any faucet anywhere in the house will generate the noise, i.e, it's not just the new shower valve?

woodrow

Reaction score
that is correct! it could be resonating from back in the bathroom but i really doubt it....

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It still could be the new valve (I think). If there is a defect in the new single-handled shower fixture, it could be acting as a cross-over between hot and cold, so water drawn from one place could be causing water to flow through that valve. If that valve, by itself, is opened, does it still make noise, especially if you have it to a warm position so water is flowing from both supplies?

A pressure reduction valve or a check valve can cause the same thing from what I read.

woodrow

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
If that valve, by itself, is opened, does it still make noise, especially if you have it to a warm position so water is flowing from both supplies?

ill check i tout and let you know. I did notice this morning that it even made the same noise even when the washing machine stop filling up the machine. So, kinda wierd.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks