(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toto Drake "half" flush

Default Toto Drake "half" flush

Just installed three Toto Drakes after seeing how well one installed before them worked. I didn't want a low-flush toilet, but this one really works well, even better than the 1950s toilets we had, and the water savings are significant.

The Drake seems to be even better than the reviews indicate because it seems to have an unadvertised "half-flush" mode. If you just press the lever it seems to use only about half or two thirds of a full flush, but is more than adequate to clear the bowl under most circumstances. If you press and hold the lever it empties more of the water chest. Does anyone know anything about this and why it isn't advertised? It seems like a good feature

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

I discovered it by accident also. There may be some risk of the water not being potable after the half-flush, but I don't have dogs any more, so it's not an issue.

Default Drake 'half flush'

Hi,

Does anyone know how the Toto Drake's 'half flush' water volume compares to the Aquia's lower-volume flush?

We recently installed a Drake in our upstairs bathroom--it works so well that I'd been thinking to install a second one downstairs. But the dual flush technology of the Aquia also intrigues me.

I've been reading diligently through the many postings here on Drake and Aquia, and no one seems to have compared the two in this way, yet. Any thoughts...?

Thanks!
    Janice

Actually, as I understand it, when you just hit the lever and let go, that is the 1.6 gal flush. When you hold the handle down, you get more than 1.6 gal.

If you are so inclined, you can test this theory by marking the water level inside the tank, flushing in the normal fashion, then measuring how much water it takes to refill the tank.

Modern 1.6 gal toilets do not empty out their tanks. They depend on the > 1.6 gal of water in the tank to help develop a "pressure head" to give the water entering the bowl higher pressure.

Default Roughly a gallon

I measured the tank level when full (16.1 cm), and following the "quick flush" (9.3 cm) in my Drake. These depths are (surprisingly) repeatable. The average cross-sectional area of the volume of water between those depths is roughly 588 sq cm, so the volume lost in the flush is 3998.4 cc, or about 1.05 gal. I'll confirm all this math by refilling with a gallon jug sometime and see if it's enough. I underlined "my" above because I've always felt as SteveW does; it's possible my tank doesn't fill as high as it should -- if other Drake owners cold measure their water depths we could get a better sample size.
    Last edited by Mikey; 11-13-2006 at 04:57 AM.

Is this an after market discovery fluke
    or an intended feature??

Mike

Adjustable flappers have always made it possible to get a 1/2 flush. And, who hasn't held down the handle to get a longer flush?

Quote Originally Posted by Verdeboy
    Adjustable flappers have always made it possible to get a 1/2 flush. And, who hasn't held down the handle to get a longer flush?
    That doesn't answer my question as to whether it's a built in feature or not unique to those Drakes..
    In any event, I have 2 relatively new toilets and haven't had to do that once.
    With the older toilets it was common.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike50
    That doesn't answer my question as to whether it's a built in feature or not unique to those Drakes..
    In any event, I have 2 relatively new toilets and haven't had to do that once.
    With the older toilets it was common.

Mike
    I was replying to the original post. I don't know the answer to your question.

Mikey,

I measured the water levels in my Toto Drake tank: 17.2 cm when full, down to 11.4 cm when flushed. ... for what it's worth!

Janice

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Toto only has one toilet (that I'm aware of) that is designed for two stage flushing. As was mentioned, all gravity low-flow toilets are designed to keep some water in the tank to provide head pressure for the flush. Unless you have a lot of finesse, you can't get one of these to short cycle. But, you can get them to empty the tank if you hold the lever down. Don't count on a short-cycle as a reliable feature. For someone not familiar with a low-flow toilet, the short (normal) flush just seems like it can't or won't work - on a well-designed toilet, it does. You normally gain nothing by holding the lever down to empty the tank except for wasting water.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by JaniceC
    Mikey,

I measured the water levels in my Toto Drake tank: 17.2 cm when full, down to 11.4 cm when flushed. ... for what it's worth!

Janice
    Two data points! Now we can be pollsters .

Pollsters? "Amen, brotha!"

Wellllll, despite the Drake's awesome performance and possible 'half flush' abilities (or not), I think I'm going to splurge and make our second toilet an Aquia. Mainly for the coolness factor. Like buying a Prius. Sorta.

Janice

Like buying a Prius.
    Janice
    Yeah, I did that when it was not only cool, but economically justified. I wish the damn gas prices would get back up to $5 or $6 where they belong.

Pollsters? "Amen, brotha!"

Wellllll, despite the Drake's awesome performance and possible 'half flush' abilities (or not), I think I'm going to splurge and make our second toilet an Aquia. Mainly for the coolness factor. Like buying a Prius. Sorta.

Janice

Great choice. Here is another 2006 design architecture award:
    http://tinyurl.com/l8lql

Had mine for 8 mos. Toto outdid themselves on this one. From a design perspective the toilet was at least 8 years ahead of it's time when it was originally launched in Thailand 7 years ago. Many people say it reminds them of an exotic car.
    The .9 flush feature is very robust. It will exceed your expectations.

Mike50