Backflow output

Users who are viewing this thread

Nereus

Reaction score
Need some help here.....last fall a contractor winterized one of our systems by removing the backflow and blowing out the system, but last spring the backflow he reinstalled was not the one he took away. He took away a 1 1/2 inch and put back a 1 inch. He had to install reducing unions to make the connection. When I asked about it he told me it was a 1 1/4 inch backflow, not a 1 1/2 inch and that a 1 inch will put out the same volume and pressure as a 1 1/4 inch backflow. My question is, wouldn't a 1 1/4 inch backflow require 1 1/4 inch pipe and fittings? These lines are 1 1/2 inch. And, does a 1 inch backflow put out the same volume and pressure as a 1 1/4 inch backflow?
I believe we were flim flammed.
Nereus:confused:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pressure will be the same regardless of the size. The volume will be less with the smaller backflow, but you'll still have plenty of water. My system has 1" from the meter with a 1" backflow into a 1-1/2" line to the valve manifold. Perhaps I don't understand your situtation. Do you own the backflow? If so, it seems to me the same BF should be reinstalled even though what was put in does work OK.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would just call them back and have them put in the same size that was taken out.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did he charge extra for the work involved in changing the pipe configuration? The lawn irrigation companies I install RPZ's for remove the RPZ and give it to the customer to store until spring time. There is no valid reason for what he did.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks