Cruddy fixture --> PITA ---> nightmare !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Pewterpower

Reaction score
I'm on vacation this week, so I'll get to those little PITA jobs I've been putting off.

One being the upstairs bathroom sink fixture. It's a little green around the gills, and just needs some cleaning up.
So I turn off the cold supply. Then the hot supply. SNAP. The knob and most of the shaft breaks off in my hand. The shutoff never budged, and there is no leak, so I'll leave it alone, and just turn off the Hot at the tank.
I yank the fixture, clean it up all purty, and put it back together.
The Hot supply line is leaking at the fixture.
Back downstairs, turn off the Hot at the tank, and replace the O-ring in the supply line. Piece of cake.
Turn on the Hot at the tank and SNAP!! the main shutoff for the tank just sheared off. :eek:
So I'm looking at it in disbelief, and there is no leak. I say a prayer and I hope that the Hot water has been turned on before the SNAP. At least I can live with that till tomorrow, cuz I really want to pass out candy tonight and see all the hot moms walking up to my door and ............... OK I digress.
Well do you think I'm that lucky? Hell no......I have no hot water. It sheared itself in the off position.
So I make 5 trips to the hardware store. One for the parts I need. One cuz I discovered my propane must have leaked out. Another cuz my striker died and I needed another elbow. On and on and on...........

Trick or treat is over, my sink and valves and what not are all fixed, and this beer never tasted sooooooooooooooo good!

I wonder what will break tomorrow?

Pewterpower

Reaction score
Nah........ it's not like that at all. It's an expensive fixture that is working 100% properly. It was just getting a little cruddy under the handles (that is our lovely Fla water) and the brass was getting green and tarnished in some places.
I know what you mean, tho, and agree 100%, but this one didn't need to be replaced, just polished up a lil bit. ;)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

If you were just doing cosmetic stuff, why did you have to turn the water off in the first place, or is this a "centerset" faucet that is entirely on top of the sink. If so, I have never seen one "fancy" enough to warrant that service.

Pewterpower

Reaction score
I simply wanted to remove it, take it to my garage workbench, and clean it up. It did not need any maintenance, just a good polishing. I have some nice polishing wheels for my dremel, and it's just alot easier to clean with it being off the sink.
No different that a brass doorknob, or knocker. If you wanted to polish it up, it would be easier to get to all the knooks and crannies with it removed from the door.
Trust me, if I had a crystal ball that could have told me what I was in for, then I never would have removed the damn thing..... :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks