shower the valve turns on by it's self

Users who are viewing this thread

ghostvalve

Reaction score
I have a single lever control valve that controls both temp and flow in a shower at my home. Directly after taking a shower the valve will turn on again. If I run cold water though the valve it will stay off. What is the cause of my problem?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It must be ghooooooooooosts if it's happening today. :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Somebody else had that problem recently, so try a search (blue bar above). If I remember, the manufacturer suggested removing some of the grease in the cartridge. What brand is it, and how old is it? Do you have a clue what your water pressure is? You can buy an inexpensive gauge from a big box store for less than $10 and screw it onto the hose valve or the washing machine supply and check it out.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did you just do some work on that valve? I had that happen to me with a moen cartridge that I had replaced. There was a bit of the old rubber seal left in the pipe and it prevented the cartridge from being pushed in all the way. The water pressure then would slowly push the cartridge out to the "on" position.

In any case, you need to take the cartridge out and check for gunk, too much grease, or the aforementioned old rubber seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks