corroded vent piping

Users who are viewing this thread

homerwannabe

Reaction score
I just got a call from home, saying that a pipe has fallen off the side of my house. The house was built in 1916, and the upstairs drain piping runs outside the wall. After my neighbor came and took a look, it seems that the vent pipe for my upstairs toilet has corroded at the iron T and been blown off. Flushing the toilet results in water coming up out of the T. Since the other 2 connections are probably near failure as well, this is what I'm thinking of doing. Cut the drain pipe just below the T where the toilet drain enters, replace iron drain pipe from toilet to drain with PVC, and replace vent pipe and T with PVC. Can I just use a rubber hose with hose clamps to splice the new PVC T into the old drain pipe? And do they make PVC toilet drain pipes/flanges? Thanks for any information you can give me.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Basically, yes to all of your questions with one mod. You can use a no-hub connector. This is a rubber sleeve with metal banding around it to keep the pipes in alignment. The ones that are a thick rubber sleeve with just clamps at the end are only supposed to be used when burried and both ends can be supported. Otherwise, the thing won't hold both ends in alignment, and it can act as a catch point for clogs. You might be in the market to replace all of the drain lines. Depending on where you live, running the drain line outside can be a problem, as it can freeze up and create problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks