(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: corroded vent piping

  1. #1

    Default corroded vent piping

    I just got a call from home, saying that a pipe has fallen off the side of my house. The house was built in 1916, and the upstairs drain piping runs outside the wall. After my neighbor came and took a look, it seems that the vent pipe for my upstairs toilet has corroded at the iron T and been blown off. Flushing the toilet results in water coming up out of the T. Since the other 2 connections are probably near failure as well, this is what I'm thinking of doing. Cut the drain pipe just below the T where the toilet drain enters, replace iron drain pipe from toilet to drain with PVC, and replace vent pipe and T with PVC. Can I just use a rubber hose with hose clamps to splice the new PVC T into the old drain pipe? And do they make PVC toilet drain pipes/flanges? Thanks for any information you can give me.

  2. #2
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    New England


    Basically, yes to all of your questions with one mod. You can use a no-hub connector. This is a rubber sleeve with metal banding around it to keep the pipes in alignment. The ones that are a thick rubber sleeve with just clamps at the end are only supposed to be used when burried and both ends can be supported. Otherwise, the thing won't hold both ends in alignment, and it can act as a catch point for clogs. You might be in the market to replace all of the drain lines. Depending on where you live, running the drain line outside can be a problem, as it can freeze up and create problems.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts