(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Need Toilet Venting Advice

Default Need Toilet Venting Advice

So I'm remodeling a bathroom on a travel trailer built in 1958, or thereabouts, and as you might imagine has presented me with a few unique situations to deal with.

Anyhow my current concern is how to vent the toilet.

Originally the toilet flange was cast iron and connected to a cast iron sanitary tee, this tee had three inlets, one of the left, right, and front, for the tub, kitchen sink, and bathroom sink respectively.

The bathroom sink has a vent about two feet away, the tub about six feet away, and the kitchen sink about ten feet away.

Now I'm really not sure how the toilet was vented, was it simply by the closest vent, or a combination of each vent?

My challenge is that I am going to be replacing that sanitary tee but I will only have one inlet for the kitchen, the tub and bathroom sink will run to the back as grey water for our yard, and to keep the septic tank from filling up too quickly.

So the nearest vent is ten feet away, which I'd imagine is too far. I could connect the sink if that makes it easier, I don't know what kind of tee I'd have to use and I'd rather not but if it's that important it's a possibility. I suppose I could also re-vent the kitchen sink by sharing the bathroom sink vent which would make the vent much closer to the toilet. Lastly, the septic is right outside the home, it basically goes from the toilet three feet away diagonally, so I could add a tee right where it leaves the house and run a vent vertically right up against the home..

Any thoughts? Much appreciate for reading all this!

Here are some rudimentary images that might help:

This one shows a top view of the house, this is the solution to vent the toilet outside the house with a vertical tee into the drain line going into the septic tank from the toilet:

This is a side view, inside the house showing how I could re-vent the bathroom sink into the kitchen sink thus making the vent on the only inlet for the toilet considerably closer than the original almost ten feet, to a now two feet or so.

Last edited by PM5K; 10-27-2006 at 01:56 AM.

Any help would be much appreciated!

;-)

Default vent

YOu said it was a tee. If so, then the vent would have been the pipe rising out of the top of the tee.

I must have worded it wrong then, you have the toilet flange, and then under that you have a pipe that has three inlets, and then the outlet on the bottom of the pipe goes directly to the septic system.

Here is an image:

Thanks!

vaplumber

You mentioned "travel trailer" (camp trailer I assume), if I am correct. You might want to do some research here. I believe the requirements are separate from residential laws, and if you enter a strict state (Cal or DC), you might recieve a strict fine for venting sewer gasses outside of the "portable" unit. If I remember right, camping trailers are allowed to have only one vent to the holding tank, and any other fixtures must be "wet vented" into this holding tank stack.

If you live in any kind of urban or suburban areas where they have any kind of plumbing codes in force, they would lock you up for dumping gray water into the yard.

Everone thinks gray water is the answer to water savings, but it is an extremely complicated area. Gray water is quite unsanitary, and the system for a gray water usage are extremely complicated. It must be filtered and applied only underground, not on the surface.

In California, we are using millions of gallons of RECLAIMED water, which is a whole different animal. It is collected from the sewer, treated to be for all practical purposes drinkable, but not legally potable, and is distributed back out into the purple reclaimed mains.

When I say travel trailer I mean a forty foot aluminum Airstream type trailer.

I got the idea from a neighbor who has been doing it for as long as I've been here, nobody seems to care in this area and it doesn't seem like a bad idea, but I certainly understand what some of you guys are saying.

I guess I'm mostly concerned about filling up my septic tank, and I'm already dumping my washing machine water out in the yard and have been for a while anyway, and tapping into the septic from where the washer is at would be near impossible, I don't know if it would be worth adding the tub to the septic if I'm still going to be dumping the washing machine water out anyway.

Anyhow, still working on this job, interested in any opinions out there.

Thanks...