MOEN Diverter Off In Middle Position??? Help

Users who are viewing this thread

pdorazio

Reaction score
OK, I think I am a moron, but I can not figure out why my Positemp diverter is ff in the middle position and water turns on when you go left or right. It is supposed to be off when turned all of the way to the right.. I probably put the handle or stop on incorrectly. Someone w/ insight please help. Pete

pdorazio

Reaction score
Sorry, it is a right/left faucet

I think I need to remove the handle and turn the brass part 180° and reattach the handle in the same position. Is that the case??

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Call Moen Customer Service (800-BUY-MOEN). They're open Saturday and very helpful.

GoBlue20

Reaction score
OK, I think I am a moron, but I can not figure out why my Positemp diverter is ff in the middle position and water turns on when you go left or right. It is supposed to be off when turned all of the way to the right.. I probably put the handle or stop on incorrectly. Someone w/ insight please help. Pete

Moen off in middle. Extreme hot to right. Warm to left. Diverter cartridge new installation.

This information is not anywhere on the internet and felt I must share it here to avoid further frustration as I experienced.

Everything you described with your installation is correct on modern day Moen 1222. It will be same theory on your faucet. You simply need to unscrew the knob only and rotate it 180 degrees. NOT rotate the cartridge.

The cartridge itself is on correctly when the flat area on copper post is horizontal. (Unless entire house H/C are reversed) There is a guard on the knob itself made of plastic inside the knob. This guard will in fact not allow you to turn clockwise any more. Therefore for your only direction is counter clockwise, forcing the cold first warm to hot. You will see the raised plastic inside and how it stops the turn.

The knob is making the user believe it is off and in off position due to the knob guard only. You and I both just installed the knob pointed up, defeating the purpose of the knob guard all together.

Everything is fine with yours, you simply need to rotate the knob/handle only 180 degrees. Even though you moved to a different state by now.

And it is a good lesson to show younger people why there is no need to give extra strength to shut off a leaking faucet for you will only break the knob/handle off.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks