Vibrating shower pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

cgrissom

Reaction score
We bought our place 2 1/2 years ago. It's an old house (1924), but supposedly the piping was replaced with new copper piping (I don't know exactly when). When you get about 2 minutes into a shower the pipes will start vibrating loudly, will only stop if we turn down the water. This started just about a week ago. This doesn't happen with any other faucet or appliance. I know I'm going to have to call a plumber, just want to hear what people think the problem is (and how BIG a problem) before I do. It's makes our dog get VERY agitated. Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Try replacing the washers on the valve stems...sometimes when they get old and hard, they can start to vibrate. Eventually, they'll break and clog things up, while not allowing you to turn it off. As you run the shower, the hot water changes the size of things. My guess...

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes it sounds like the bib washers.

When you repair it use self retaining bib screws to hold the washers. Screws can back out a little and a loose washer can rattle too.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
A lot of times, you get that type of pipe noise when there is a reduction in water pressure for whatever reason. If you have a PRV (pressure reduction valve) that may need to be looked at and/or adjusted.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Had the same thing, but our situation was made worse by loose pipes, not properly secured to wood framing. Granted, the Moen valve was old and the seals were probably fluttering, but it was made worse because the pipes would bang against anything they were touching. Sounded like a gang of monkeys pounding the pipes with hammers.

I discovered this (unsecured pipes) when I was tearing out the bathroom during my renovation project. The shower valve was also not connected to anything. It was only supported by the vertical piping itself.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks