(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sealing large gap around replacement vinyl windows

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

And you LEFT that job?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    And you LEFT that job?
    Even that Garden of Eden had its down side. The owners wanted everything done professionally, but we had too many slackers on the crew. We couldn't pick and choose our workers because of that $300.00/month thing. So, there was too much stress on the managers like myself. Plus, it was a vegetarian/vegan place and I've got to get some animal protein in me once in a while.

Master Electrician & Engineer galacon's Avatar

Mikey-

Too bad we didn't run into each other earlier. As one of my sidelines I am a distributor for a very high quality custom vinyl window manufacturer here in Chicago, and you could have bought your windows custom, sized to the individual openings +/- whatever gap you wanted, delivered to FLA, for less than you paid the big-box. Oh well...

Anyone else with this prob, let me know and we'll try to hook you up!

G
    Glenn R. Grundberg
    BSEE, RCDD/lan, IBEW JW
    GOAL Electrical

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

NOW you tell me. This wasn't a big-box, it was a local company specializing in windows and doors -- Window Depot, if you can believe it. The windows were manufactured by Accu-Weld, which seems like a decent outfit. The windows are listed in the NFRC database. Prices were a little lower than big-box, ranging from $169 to $563 (laminated double-glazed), independent of size.

The problem is they didn't understand how the windows were going to have to be installed, and consequently didn't measure them properly. In the case of 4 windows, they are at least 5/8" wider than the interior opening. If they cut the drywall on the inside jamb, they might be able to make them fit, but I'm concerned about the final appearance. There's no question in my mind that I could do a better job of installing them, since their installers are paid by the window ($55), so they aren't terribly concerned about doing it right.