(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Sealing large gap around replacement vinyl windows

Hybrid View

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Default Sealing large gap around replacement vinyl windows

I'm replacing the old aluminum single-glazed windows with vinyl low-E triple-glazed, hurricane-proof, high-test windows. Because of the way the original windows fit, the generic replacements end up with a 1/2" to 3/4" gap around all sides at the outside edge. It's a brick house. I'm wondering what to use to fill up the gap that will seal to both the brick and the vinyl and look good. Ideally, it would look like the mortar in the surrounding brickwork, so I'm thinking of using mortar or a modified grout or something similar. Not sure it wouldn't slump out of the vertical gaps, though. Suggestions welcome.

There is a caulk that is made specifically to look and feel like mortar. It's called "Mor-Flexx". On the tube it says, "Looks like mortar - Stretches like rubber. It has a sandy texture to it and it's gray. It can be painted if another color is desired.

I'll see if the local Ace Hardware has some on the way home. At $7+/cartridge it's pretty pricey, but if it works it sounds like it's just what I want; thanks for the tip.

When you go to look a the caulk check and see what size gap it will fill. Then check and see if you can caulk over the caulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Cass
    When you go to look a the caulk check and see what size gap it will fill. Then check and see if you can caulk over the caulk.
    If the gap is as deep as it is wide, I'd stuff some foam backer rod in there first, then use the Mor-flexx over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    I'll see if the local Ace Hardware has some on the way home. At $7+/cartridge it's pretty pricey, but if it works it sounds like it's just what I want; thanks for the tip.
    I bet those windows ain't cheap neither.

You got that right. The top-o'-the-line laminated, hurricane-proof, Argon-filled, low-E (or maybe high-E, I forget), triple-pane, 200-proof, low-fat windows are $586 apiece (anything up to 52" wide). Fortunately, lots of my windows are 52", so I'm getting my money's worth. Bathroom, unfortunately, is 27" .

Turns out Ace doesn't stock Mor-flexx, so I'm still looking for a source for just a tube or 2 to try. Lowe's never heard of it. Got some backer rod today, but largest size is 5/8" -- really could use a lot bigger in some cases, but I'll make do. Using some polyurethane foam to fill the bulk of the gap, and act as a structural sealant to firm up the window installation - it's held in with Tapcons, but it's a little shaky until the foam sets up, then it's rock-solid.

Another option I'm looking at is a product from Custom, called ProLite (http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...er=diy&lang=en) which is a lightweight, non-slumping mortar, but I doubt it will work in the big volumes I'm concerned with, since it's intended more for tilesetting than gapfilling. I've e-mailed them to see if they've got other suggestions.

Custom said they've got nothing that will work. I then went to the Mor-flexx Website, and found they have a great deal - 4 tubes for $24, shipping included - for a trial. Can't beat it! I guess it'll be a week or so before I get it, but I'll let you know how it works.