Sewer gas in office

Users who are viewing this thread

tonofmun

Reaction score
I work in an old storefront barbershop. The office is connected through a back room to a larger building with other offices. When it rains, it is very windy, cold or sometimes simply overcast we get the nastiest smelling sewer gas smell coming from the back room (I think, at least that is where it tends to build up) and seeping into the office space through the walls and the heating vents. The owner has cemented all the old pipes below the barbershop, has torn out the floor in the backroom, has sussed out the basement but can't find the source of the problem. It gets really bad, then goes away, but there is always a baseline odor. Recently I have been investigating it and have been noticing it coming out of the heating vents in the main part of the building.

We are all at a loss as to how to stop the smell. It is unbearable. Any advice?

Thanks,

Ben

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Try doing a smoke test in the plumbing vent system.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They sell smoke bombs that you place in the vent system and then seal it. It fills the vent with smoke and if there is a break in the system smoke will come out and you will see it and find where the break is if there is one. Where you place it in the system may be important also.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks