Purpose of Platform Under Toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

boomer70

Reaction score
We're in the process of renovating a bathroom (fixtures removed, floor gutted, etc). The old bathroom had a rectangular shaped marble platform sandwiched between the bottom of the toilet and the top of the floor, offsetting the toilet about an inch from the finished floor. Does anyone know the purpose of this? The marble platform is beyond filthy, and it won't match the new bathroom anyway. Is there a reason why we should be keeping this there? Thanks for your advice.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It provided a level surface for the toilet to set on. There is no need for one if you can level the floor and if the flange sets level on top of the finished floor. Minor leveling of the toilet can be done with shims if you can't level the floor.

Prashster

Reaction score
The flange was probably set too high off the finished floor and they had to make the platform so the toilet wouldn't wobble and ride on the flange.

If your new floor will be installed on top of the old floor then you might be in luck and the flange might sit flush on yr new floor. If yes, then you don't need platform.

If the flange still rides above the newly finished floor, then you might be able to push it flat to the finished floor if the pipe and trap underneath has sufficient give. if yes, then you don't need a platform.

Last edited:

boomer70

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanations. They all make sense. This forum is great.

MIDDEN1

Reaction score
Toilet Spacer

does anyone know where i can buy a toilet spacer my toilet flange
is raised up 1 inch from floor in new basement bath.
thanks
bob m

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
1" is an awfully high marble slab. The ones I am familiar with are about 1/4"-3/8" thick. Why do you need a new one? You may end up having to special ordering one and BTW the new ones are called marble slabs but are not made of marble any more. I would guess a Corian dealer could make you one and would be able to put a decorative edge on it if you wanted.

MIDDEN1

Reaction score
Risor

i need a high risor do to i had to raise my flange 1.0 or more above floor in
basement to get enough pitch for drainage this is a new bathroom.
trunk line was not low enough.

Molo

Reaction score
OK... I'm trying to understand. What is the optimum height for a flange? It's supposed to sit on the finished floor right?

Molo

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, the flange to toilet design is to have the flange sitting on TOP of the finished floor, and fastened through it. If the flange is too high, the toilet may not sit flat - i.e., rock on the flange, or there's no room for the wax to seal it. If it is too low, you run the risk of having a big torus (ring) of wax that is not strong, and can blow out.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
drain slope means raising toilet, for Midden1

Bob (Midden1) said the toilet drain required a slope (normal) and this forced the toilet to sit higher than the existing floor.

Bob, have you read other threads about sealing around the toilet base? People always talk about leaving a space at the back of the base so you can notice if and when a leak happens. If I had your situation, I would build up a base using ANY material at all that matched the design and esthetics of the space and the other occupants' desires. Any material. You don't need to be told here what the right material is, as there is none "per se".

You have several ways to choose from, to build up, using different methods. Pillars, flat layering, single-piece (monolith), etc. What might be useful to discuss here is whether to "liquid layer" (i.e. glue, cement, caulk, grout, whatever) underneath and above the material to ensure it touches the floor continuously, with no voids underneath, or to use the pillar method, a practice used in stone-laying. You can layer flat material, in separate pieces, or in whole piece layers.

David

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks