AAV with basement ejector pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Chippy

Reaction score
I know this is not a popular or recommended set-up but I've inherited it, and I have a problem with it...
The pump is for a shower. For whatever reason the pump does not use the roof vent that the sink and toilet use.
Anyway, sewer gas sometimes escapes from the AAV when the pump operates, and I think it only happens if the bathroom door is closed and the extractor fan is running, presumably due to the lower air pressure in the room. I have replaced the AAV twice so it's not a faulty vent.
The set-up looks like this diagram (from Studor), except that there is no connection between the vent pipe and the drain outlet. My question is, is that significant? Would that make the vent more effective so that we don't have to leave the door open to take a shower?
ole0.bmp

Prashster

Reaction score
Not sure I subscribe to the lower-air-pressure-in-the-room theory.

When the ejector pump (not fan) is running, it is pulling air IN from the vent to displace the liquid it's expulsing. You shouldn't get stink from the vent until after it stops and then only if the vent stays stuck open. The churn inside the bin can cause some stinky air to be pushed out of crevasses in the lid during flushing or ejecting if it's not properly sealed.

I think you only notice it when the door is closed bkz the stink doesn't diffuse and escape the room.

I'd check that the lid is sealed and that the vent operates. You shouldn't need a loop from the discharge back to the vent port. Such a vent would not assist the pump in displacement. I think that vent is only there to prevent bypassing drainage from siphoning out the column of water that holds the check valve shut. But if you have a good cv, you shouldn't need that column anyway.

Chippy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply prashter.
I'm 99% cerain that the problem occurs only when the bathroom door is closed - the smell is very noticeable around the whole area if you open the door afterwards so I don't think there's any way we could miss it.
I agree that it doesn't seem right that an extractor fan would cause enough of a pressure differential to pull gas back out of the vent. I guess there could be a leak around the lid so I'll check more carefully.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
vapor locking air vents.....

the problem is that auto air vent on
the sewage pump
it just wont ever work right

you might say that the pit is "vapor locking "
(my technical term) when it has to pump out
the sewage,,,,, it is sucking down on that auto air vent
and not able to get enough air,

so its probably siphoning the trap to the shower or lavatory....

the only solution
and if you could even run something as small
as a 3/4 pvc inch pipe up to tie into the main stack vent
or get a pipe outside the back of the house
( of course the bigger the pipe the better)

to equalize the atmoslphere in that pit
the problem will never return.....

SumppumpPimp

In the Trades
Reaction score
I will have to agree with Master Mark on this one about the mechanical vent not ever working right!

With all of our pump systems, we never, ever recommend a mechanical vent with any of them!

ZP

Chippy

Reaction score
It's a Zoeller pump by the way...

The gas is definitely coming from the pump/AAV area, not from any of the other traps. It's in a closet so there's no mistaking the source.

Is it conceivable that the difference in pressure between leaving the door open or closed affects the operation of the AAV?

(BTW, I realise no one would never recommend this set-up, I'm just trying to explore all options...)

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

1. The only pressure differential that would affect the AAV is if the room were at a higher pressure then the valve would open. A lower room pressure would force it even tighter closed.
2. If the connection were made between the discharge and the vent, the water would just circulate in a circle.

Prashster

Reaction score
When the smell is bad, do you notice that the traps are dry? If yes, then MPM has to be right. If no, then MPM, doesn't that conflict w yr conclusion?

Chippy

Reaction score
No, traps are definitely not dry, I don't think Mr smartass kordts wants us to discuss the subject any more though. Too bad, I'm still kind of interested in why leaving the door open seems to make the system work
(kordts - I KNOW it's the AAV, a-hole, that's why it's in the subject)

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey Chimpy,
nice mouth, ya kiss yer kids with that? I am merely trying to reinforce the good advice given that an AAV on your installation won't work. You need to install a VTR. Lose the 'tude, Chimpy.

Last edited:

Prashster

Reaction score
Best to ignore comments you perceive as smartass. Nobody wins.

Anyway, I'm puzzled now. IMHO it seems like it's not a vaporlock problem, else you'd have some dry traps.

Have you tried sealing the lid better?

When I first installed my basement 'pit, I left the lid off for a few weeks to observe and test. I noticed that whenever something was added to the pit, the odor was stirred up. Even if you just used the sink. That's what makes me think it's a lid-seal problem for you...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
prashster said:
Best to ignore comments you perceive as smartass. Nobody wins.

Anyway, I'm puzzled now. IMHO it seems like it's not a vaporlock problem, else you'd have some dry traps.

Have you tried sealing the lid better?

When I first installed my basement 'pit, I left the lid off for a few weeks to observe and test. I noticed that whenever something was added to the pit, the odor was stirred up. Even if you just used the sink. That's what makes me think it's a lid-seal problem for you...

If the lid is sealed then the AAV won't work right. If the lid is not sealed the AAV still won't work right. A sewage ejection pit must be vented to the atmosphere outside the home through the existing vent system or by its self.

Prashster

Reaction score
Cass said:
If the lid is sealed then the AAV won't work right. If the lid is not sealed the AAV still won't work right. A sewage ejection pit must be vented to the atmosphere outside the home through the existing vent system or by its self.

I understand. But the AAV doesn't appear to be airlocking, as evidenced by his full traps. If it were pulling in air from the lid gaps, then it's unlikely that odor would be emitted from the pit.

I think he should seal the pit first, try the pump. If then his traps are being sucked, he'll KNOW it's the AAV.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
With an AAV installed and the plumbing system air tight when he flushed a toilet the toilet would drain until it (the pit) had enough pressure and it would stop then the water in the bowl would start to back up. If the pump turned on the pit would depressurize and then suck air through the AAV until the pump stopped..

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Wheezing pits....

I have actually seen a pit "wheeze"

like an old man before because the AAv

only lets air into the system and not release

air out of it like when you flush the toilet

the air displaced has to blow you somewhere.....

it probably sort of "farts" out the traps and you dont

know it..... or it is blowing out around the seal on the

pit......

its not a good situation at all and if their is any
way you can even run a 3/4 or one inch pvc tube or
something larger out the side of the house
or into the vent to equalize the air throughout the
system you will basically solve your troubles....

Now children.......lets all try to get along.......

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry,
I get pissed when DIYer's ignore correct, free advice and try to come up with all these esoteric theories about why their incorrect installation won't work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks