Options with galvanized pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Don Metzinger

Reaction score
I am replacing some galvanized pipe and have reached a point where I am ready to remove the old 3/4 galvanized where it feeds out ont of the basement to supply water to a converted garage. There is a old union about 6-8" above the floor and the pipe starts a long curve into the foundation wall. My concern is that if anything happens to the old galvanized when taking the union apart is there any way to salvage the pipe by reconnecting with some kind of clamp type fitting? Some of the old threaded joints have been tough to break and a couple of times the pipe has started to deform a bit. owner does not want to dig up the run to the converted garage as it will be abandoned in a few years. Are there clamping type connectors similar to ferncos used with cast and plastic? Everything may come apart ok... but just checking. I have found that heating the stubbon joint with my torch seems to help. Thanks for any info. - Don

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, there is a compression fitting (dresser coupling) made that will allow you to connect to the old galv. pipe.

Don Metzinger

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. There are a couple of plumbing supply places near the house that will probably carry them. This is a great site. - Don

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks