Roofing

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I want to have my roof inspected.
It is Not leaking for 6 years now and was replaced about 10 years ago.
I Do lose 2 or 3 (tar) tiles annually when wind kicks up though.
Also, there are a few 12-18 inch areas where previous owner has masked
old damage with acoustic.
It's possible that was before last roofing was done.

Is it foolish to wait until leaks happen?

Anyone know what I should be looking for regarding credentials etc..?

Should I look for someone who does roofs exclusively when getting estimates?
I'm assuming estimates are free???

thanks..

Mike

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
First, you can inspect your roof by walking over it if it is flat enough. You can't really see leaks unless there is damage that is apparent on the surface.

If you have a roofer inspect it, I can virtually guarantee that he is going to tell you that it needs repair, at a cost of at least $500. He may tell you that it really needs complete replacement at $10,000.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can do a pretty good inspection from the ground with a pair of binoculars. You are looking for bare spots where the roofing has lost most of the granuals, cupping where the edges are curled up, excessive brittleness, missing sections. The other big things to look at (and here you may need to go up there) are flashing that has been compromised like around a chimney, vent, evidence of leaks as shown by spongy sheeting (you can probably tell as well or better from inside of the attic if you have one), etc.

An inspection may not be free, but may be deductable if additional work is done.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm unable to inspect myself so I will find someone reliable who can.

I've heard that you can get a 25 year roof. Are these guarantees proven and what makes it different from a 10 year roof (other than price), for example. Just higher quality material I'm guessing....

What are the "state of art" materials. If I do wind up doing it--I would
premium materials.

I'd like a mexican style (ceramic) roof but I was told that it's probably not rated as such...?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
There are asphalt roofs that are rated for 40-years. Will you get that out of them, probably not. Is the warranty worth anything, not really as most of the cost is in the labor and basically none of them include that.

If you have problems with wind, and want a roof that will outlast you, consider a metal roof. Those that look like stained wooden shakes will last a very long time. Some will give you a lifetime warranty that not only includes materials, but labor as well. And, depending on where you live, having a fireproof roof can give you a very good break on house insurance. Plus, it acts as a radiant barrier that blocks over 90% of the radiant heat.

One company has some on a golf course clubhouse - installed in 1927 or so. Around 1999, they had a panel analyzed to determine how much life it had left. Came to around 1900 more years. Most are good to about 130mph, too. Really popular in FL. Can't remember the company I found that had the best product - but they were in TX. Been in business since around the 1940 era...NEVER had a BB complaint EVER.

Tried to get our condo people to bo with them, but politics didn't work out.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Metal sounds very interesting Jim. I didn't know of that option.
I'm just trying to imagine how our high desert summer temps would factor into that scenario.

Is there any possibility at all of reinforcing the roof to make mexican tile an option or a lighter composite?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You will find that the differance between a 20 and 40 year roof is the material. Here is the weight to year ratio.

Note: weights are approximate pounds per square (10' x 10' area) and are not certified
20-year (3-tab variety) 210-200 pounds
25-year (3-tab variety) unspecified
25-year (dimensional variety) 240-pounds
30-year Atlas product 240-250 pounds
30-year (other than Atlas)300-pound
40-year350+ pound

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A tile roof requires a significant strength to survive. SUre, with enough money, you could do it.

Metal roofs come in all sorts of styles and colors. The stuff that looks like shakes is nice because it provides about 3/4" of air space between it and the roof decking. The metal reflects over 90% of the incoming radiant heat, and the air gap under it gives natural air flow for any that does get through. They are more common in the snow-belt or in areas where there are high winds (FL, coastal TX, etc.) but would work great in a desert location, too. The textured ones with all of the folds are quite strong. The best finish is made with Kynar (sp?). You can get metal roofing made out of both steel and aluminum. My preference is AL, since it won't rust if the finish is compromised.

Some people like the simplisitic look of smooth panels with the reinforcing ridges, but except for very special circumstances, I'm not impressed. I've seen some houses with it, and if it is designed properly, can look good, though.

Unless you look twice, the stuff designed to look like shakes can fool you from the ground, the main giveaway is that the finish is a little shiney.

Look into it. It is quick to install, and light, so it is something you might consider doing yourself. Because it is so light, you MIGHT not need to remove the original roof.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Here's one you might like. No idea of costs.

Attachments

• VeronaPeak[1].jpg
    VeronaPeak[1].jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 375

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Great advice as usual guys. I LIKE that roof BTW.

Jim, I took your advice about using binoculars....and...I could be wrong...but I don't like what I see. I'll elaborate on that at a later time after I get someone up there...

Now if I can just get a roofer to return calls for an estimate.
Must be nice to have so much business no one has time for an estimate.
geesh...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple estimates done. And...I guess I'm still unclear about whether on not a 30 year roof will in actuality last 30 years.
I want to know what I'm paying for.
Metal shingles are not an option where I live. Not recommended.
Desert Santa Ana winds blow them off apparently.....

I know I need some work done. And some additional vents I want too.

Mike

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If installed according to directions and if the attic is ventelated well they should last the 30 years. If they don'y they should be prorated.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
http://www.metalroofing.com/v2/content/manufacturer/ Don't remember, but it was from one of these.

Flat metal roofs may not be that wind resistant, but many of the 'shaped' ones are guaranteed to 130mph and are used a lot in hurricane areas. As with anything, if it isn't installed properly, you'll have problems. The model for that one in the picture is Verona Peak (you can see that if you move your cursor over it and try to save it).

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Anyways....One roofer I like told me that if he did the entire roof that new gutters were included and that both baths vented into the attic and he would correct those to vent thru roof.

He also told me that that skylights were easy and I can consider that option if wanted.

My main focus is in getting 30 year roof and this will be the last time I ever have to address it in the future.

No one recommends metal here-of 3 guys I've spoken to now.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
No one recommends metal here-of 3 guys I've spoken to now.
May be because they don't do much of it and are uncomfortable with it. My neighbor across the street is a roofing contractor. He just re-reoofed his house and garage with metal, so I got to watch and see how it went.

It went slow. Lots of things the crew were used to no longer applied, and they were pretty frustrated. He did his own house to find out how metal went (it was his first metal job) and he found out the hard way. I think it took a couple of weeks to do, whereas a shingle job would be 3 or 4 days. It looks great, though, and he's pretty happy with the result. I'll ask him what his overall opinion is the next time I see him.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A shingle roof rarely lasts the full term of the guarantee, especially if you live where it gets very hot, windy, or you have a lot of trees that might rub or allow moisture to be retained. Most manufacturers' guarantee is prorated, so if you replace it at 20-years, you might get 1/3 of the materials cost at the time it was bought (not 1/3 of new), and no labor.

Most of the metal roofs are guaranteed for, if not life, 50-years, and at least on a few, that's not only materials but labor as well. Course, with anything these days, having a company around that long is a question, too.

If you really don't want to deal with a new roof in say a 30-year timeframe, unless you are very lucky, go with a metal one. Not only will you not have to worry about it, but you'll be saving on heating and cooling for that entire time since the roof will reflect a significant amount of heat away from the roof surface (heat back into the house in the winter, and off of the roof in the summer).

The roofers don't want to deal with them since they can and do last so long, they would not have any replacement/repair jobs and, it's "new" (even though they've been around for decades) - they don't want to buy the new tools and learn the techniques required to do it right - they're afraid of it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks