Toilet vent

Users who are viewing this thread

ll1000a

Reaction score
I'm moving my 2nd bathroom toilet into an unused cavity in my home. It's about a 3 foot move from the current location and will allow the kids some privacy while others are brushing their teeth 'example'.
Question is: can I use the vent that exist now? 3 feet away or should I put one closer to the toilet and vent up thru the unsheet rocked walls and re connect near the attic? then seal it all up with sheet rock. Of course using the current vent will save time and effort. However I do not want to seal it up only to find smell from a bad vent job.
Thanks experts

ll1000a

Reaction score
Vent

Thanks Terry, Great site you have.
So my 3 feet to the existing vent shold be o.k.
Great

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
The trap arm (what your toilet is now connected to) may only be offset horizontally a maximum of 90° from it's vent without reventing.

Do not count the closet bend toward the 90° rule.

ll1000a

Reaction score
The position 3 feet away from the existing location and will have a downward flow and only one 90 degree angle from the new location just below the toilet the rest are 45 degree bends. The existing vent is vertical off a drop to the first floor and goes up to the attic and out. Let me know if you see issues or if I tie in to existing works.

Attachments

• plumb.pdf
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,109

Solsacre

Plumber
Reaction score
The trap arm (what your toilet is now connected to) may only be offset horizontally a maximum of 90° from it's vent without reventing.

Not a solid rule. Check your local plumbing code... buy a plumber a beer, make a friend and don't be afraid to ask dumb questions.

You can run 135 d before the toilet vent in Oregon..:eek: .. other states?

If you need more than 6 feet to your vent, some states will let you up-size to 4 inch and run 10 foot to the vent.

and no mater what you do to come code complient..... If you are good at talking you can convince the AA (adminastratieve athority) or the AHJ (administrator having juristiction) or whatever you call your inspector, to approve most anything... as long as it works.good luck

dances-with-pumps

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
very lucky in Indiana

Indiana has gone to BOCA--andCABO code a long time ago and its great...

Use to have the UPC code and was always trouble....
having to run a 3 inch vent completely out the roof
on a new home was always trouble....

Here you dont even need to have a vent for the toilet,

if thier is a vent 10-20or 30 feet away in the bathroom, it will work ok....

becasue a toilet is suposed to siphon when it is flushed anyway...

any sized vent line keeps the system at
the same neutral level of static pressure.....

their reasoning is that nothing bigger than the toillet line
is ever going to go down that drain line...... so it is virtually
impossible to totally fill the 3 or 4 inch line and make the toilet siphon.....

therefore it realy does not need a dedicated vent or a full 3 inch vent going outthe roof

alll around town you see 1 1/2 vent stacks for the complete
home plumbing system...it saves the constructionplumber tons of money

everything has been working fine for years...

except when some poor bastard needs to clean an abstruction
out of his pipes from the roof....LOL

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yeah, when he has to go through the roof to clear a clog......what then????

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
thats not my problem--I dont do sewers....

I dont know what you would have to do
if you had a clog from the second floor down to the first....

with PVC pipe I dont think it happens very often at all...

The code claims that the toilet is considered a full sized
clean out access
which I suppose it really is ....

and you would have to be a
real idiot to carry a full sized sewer
machine up on a two story roof when you could
clean it from the toilet....

and of course their is awlays a two way clean out tee in
the front of the home....

the only down side I see to a 1 1/2 vent going out the roof is it
totally freezing up in the winter.... in bitter cold temps....
and killing the vent off completely....

but that has not been much of a problem either....

and besides they always thaw out in the spring....LOL

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
codes

The IPC was an "upgrade" of the CABO/BOCA codes which were so lenient that there was absolutely nothing prohibited as long as it allowed the house to be built cheaper, giveing the builder a higher profit margin because he was not lowering the sale price. In this case, however, you have mixed a plan view and an elevation so we cannot really tell what you are doing. Your description implies a 90 bend and three 45's which seems over the top for what you are doing, and would not pass most codes.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
the stack.

ll1000a said:
The position 3 feet away from the existing location and will have a downward flow and only one 90 degree angle from the new location just below the toilet the rest are 45 degree bends. The existing vent is vertical off a drop to the first floor and goes up to the attic and out. Let me know if you see issues or if I tie in to existing works.

the description (quoted above) is not clear, to me. The diagram is good but not good enough, for me.

Do you know whether your tub and existing toilet are on the same branch, or whether they connect to the stack separately as shown in your drawing? This is important, since you are on the 2nd floor and you probably want to minimize reworking at the stack connections -- it is not like being in a basement where you have lots of space and access.

I saw a vent going to the tub. That vent can be used to vent upstream of your new toilet.

Here is what i think i do know (subject to confirmation from people who know Code very well): Two toilets on a branch line requires venting between the two, and the second toilet connects with a Wye. Two toilets and a tub on a branch line also requires venting, upstream of both toilets. One toilet and one tub, the same requirements.

There is a probably a lot i don't know about plumbing, so i may not be helping at all. For example, I can't help with the discussion about 90 and 45 and 135 degree angles.

david

ll1000a

Reaction score
I heard there cannot be many 90 degree bent and 45's were o.k. (thus I did 1 90) and the location where this project is I need the bends to route the sewer.
Not trying to minimize anything I do think the gentelman which said I should be o.k. even up to 10 feet may be correct. I'ts literally a small move. Thank you all !

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
dubldare said:

Do not count the closet bend toward the 90° rule.

Not sure which code is applicable here but the UPC allows a toilet to turn 135 degrees

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks