Weird Pressure Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

MCSE

Reaction score
About a week ago my hot water pressure in one of my showers significantly decreased but all other faucets throughout the house are still operating normally. All of my faucets have two handles(hot and cold) and are not the one handle model that controls both hot and cold.

So far, I have taken out the valve and performed a visual inspection to ensure that a broken washer was not the "culprit" but all was clear. I then tried another valve(which worked fine on the other shower faucet) and the same issue. I then removed the valve once again and opened up the hot water. The pressure without the valve is great. I did this to not only test the pressure without the valve but to hopefully dislodge any buildup that may be in the pipes. I am at a loss??? Without a valve in the hot water side the pressure coming out of the open piping is fine. When a valve is placed into the piping the pressure significantly decreases again. The cold water side on the same shower is normal and pressured up fine.

All the piping is fine and there are no kinks. As well, the size of the piping is not an issue. Once again, this just started happening and was fine before. The shower under investigation is the furthest plumbing connection from the hot water heater. The hot water heater is only two years old. If there is a problem it seems like it would have to be somewhere between the valve and the faucet/shower head???

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
First the valve is in the wall and you removed the valve stems.

My guess is that when you remove the stem the water flows through the valve and out the valve stem holes with no restriction because the problem is something stuck in the valve where the water mixes or shower head.

Did you remove both hot, cold and diverter stems? Is the tub spout the diverter? Is it both hot and cold that won't flow?

Please use smaller type when responding large is harder to read.

MCSE

Reaction score

Yes, I removed both the hot and the cold stems and even replaced the washers on them.

Yes, the tub spout is the diverter. I even pulled off the spout to make sure that it is functioning correctly.

Cold water is running normally. It is just the hot water that has pressure loss and only in this bathtub. Every other faucet in the house is unaffected.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Something is jammed in the valve. Were any of the washers broken or missing?

MCSE

Reaction score

No, all the washers were intact(worn down but intact). I replaced the washers in both the cold and hot water stems.

There is no access panel so I guess I would need to rip a hole in the drywall to access the valve?

I recently just tried another suggestion of removing the hot water stem and fully turning on the cold water. They thought that it may flush out the blockage but that did not work either.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Try replacing the hot valve stem entirely. If that doesn't work, you might be able to shove a length of bailing wire up into the mixer to try to dislodge whatever's in there.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
My guess is replacing the stem won't help because you tried a stem from another valve that was working fine.

You may be looking at replacing it with a new single handle. They make a plate to cover the hole should you elect to do that.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks