Garbage disposal

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
Now, I got to do the garbage disposal myself. My one son and I are going to try to do it ourselves. I bought a Badger 5. What is all involved? :eek:

Any simple, step by step directions? If anyone writes in for this for me, please, use layman's language. Thank you

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The instructions that come with it are pretty good.

Turn off the circuit breaker to the thing. If it is plugged in, just pull it out. If it is wired in, then you'll need to disconnect it. If the wire is long enough, don't worry much, do it later. If the thing plugs in, you'll need to move that cord to the new one. If it is in good shape, that is. If the insulation is cracking because it is really old, you'll nedd a new cord. If it is wired in, as long as the wire insulation is in good shape, you can reconnect it.

The outlet is held in by a single screw that holds the flange. Take that off. The plastic part of the elbow will come out of the piece going to the wall if you loosen the nut and then you can slide it out. It will be easier to do that after you remove the thing, but take it out if you can, if not, don't worry about it.

If you have a dishwasher hose connected to the thing, loosen the clamp (might be a screw clamp or a spring clamp) and pull off the hose.

There is a ring up around the bottom of the sink that has tubular sections around it. This attaches to a cam-lock that actually holds the thing to the sink. Using the allen wrench as a handle (it should fit into the hole of the tubular fitting), turn it about 1/8th turn and it will release the thing; careful, since it will fall down at this point if you aren't holding it.

If you are going to replace the part in the sink (you don't have to - buff it up with some steel wool and it will look as good as a new one after a week), then you need to remove the nut, use plumbers putty under the new one, then install it. There are some good pictures in the manual.

Once you have the thing down on the floor, remove the screws for the wiring access and undo the wire nuts. Replace the wiring into the new one matching up the colors.

Read the manual, and see if you can follow it.

Note, if you have a dishwasher hooked up to the thing, you'll need to knock out the plug on the new one before you connect it up. It is probably eaiser to do this before you install it. Take a heavy screw driver...put it into the hole for the dishwasher connection, and hit the screwdriver with a hammer to knock out the plug. Tip the thing over to empty the plug, it should fall out.

In most of those I've replaced, I just leave the original drain in. If you have a real odd one, the new one won't fit, but it is rare from my limited experience. As opposed to a pro, I've only replaced maybe a half dozen - most of them have probably replaced hundreds if not thousands. It usually only takes a half-hour or so, but plan for more on your first one.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
jadnashua said:
There is a ring up around the bottom of the sink that has tubular sections around it. This attach's to a cam-lock that actually holds the thing to the sink. Using the allen wrench as a handle (it should fit into the hole of the tubular fitting), turn it about 1/8th turn and it will release the thing; careful, since it will fall down at this point if you aren't holding it.

When you get to this part they sometimes are so hard to turn I have had to do it with a hammer to start it.

If / when it does turn be careful as it may fall once it becomes disconnected and the disposal is fairly heavy.

When you go to rehang the new one it can be very difficult as you have to hold it in the air while lining everything up.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
There are 3 screws that tighten down on the flange assembly; make sure they are wound out all the way when trying to push that clip on that holds it all in place.

Have your son pushing down the flange in the sink above while you are under the sink pushing up trying to lock the clip in.

I can do it with my hand over in the top of the sink and the other underneath without looking but it's difficult.

Easier to do with 2 people even though I've never had help before. :confused:

Absolutely make sure the new disposal has a ground wire and is connected to the ground screw inside the disposal under access plate. If the wire feed existing doesn't have a ground, make damn sure the new one does..it is a matter of plan B if that is your situation.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
When you go to bring the power wire into the new disposal be sure there is a ROMEX® connector screwed into the electric entrance hole in the bottom, you won't need the little locking ring that comes with the ROMEX® connector, just screw it in till it is snug and you can still tighten the clamp with a screw driver. I can't tell you how many times I have changed out a G/D and there was nothing securing the wire to the disposal.

When you tighten the ROMEX® connector clamp on the wire you just want it tight enough so the wire can't move.

Most times when replacing a G/D there is a ROMEX® connector on the one being replaced that can be reused.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fixed

If the only reason you were going to replace it was because it was jammed, then you should have asked how to unjam it, not how to replace it. If your disposer is an Insinkerator, you do not need the wooden spoon, you use a 1/4" allen wrench in the hole in the bottom at the center and wiggle it both ways.

R

Rancher

Hmmm M & M's instead of the chip in chocolate chip cookies, I'm on my way over

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks