Angie's List

Users who are viewing this thread

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yep.. 18..right out of h.s. Did it all in the indoor pool at the YWCA then did an openwater checkout in Morrison Springs, FL ... IMHO it was a wimpy course and NASDS certification... PADI was still young and I didn't even hear of it until a year or so afterwards except in Skin Diver magazine. But, hey, I got this really nice patch which looked really KEWL with my corvette patch on that nice blue windbreaker with the pretty racing stripe... and guess what?... I've still got it! One of my few artifacts from my "coming of age" years....

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I was also a swimming instructor, Red Cross certified.

I went to a summer camp in NH that the Red X rented for their training course and when it was over we found out the during the rest of the year it was a nud*st camp!!!!:)

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Randy...I had a big ass Blue Shark certified diver patch on my jacket when I was 13. I thought it would impress my friends and make me popular with the girls. Had no effect what so ever.
So, I grew my hair down to my shoulders-Now That did work. lol

On my checkout dive I had to swim down 75 feet. Sit on bottom of ocean floor then take off every piece of equipment--then put it all back on.
So you start again with no air and no mask. OMG
It was so intense I didnt have time to be scared.

Last edited:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Mike50. Much the same as we did. Morrison Springs has caves that go way deep.. like 140' but the water is super clear and warm. The ditch and recovery (removing tanks and stuff) didn't phase me. I guess I was just comfortable with diving and with the equipment. I went diving with a couple of guys off of Molasses Reef near Key West where I just threw everything overboard in 65 ft of water and dove in with my weight belt on and goggles in my hand. It was an attempt to save air and keep from hitting my head on the tank valve. I had no problem with that either... just some of those funky things kids do... man it's been such a long time ago...1977

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I was also a Life Guard and rode a motorcycle, talk about girls...... Cookie you listening.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks