Angie's List

Users who are viewing this thread

Climber

Reaction score
My Two Cents

Angie's List or BBB, they both have extreme limitations on what they can tell a consumer.

Case in point:
I had my roof completely redone; eaves and all, by an, according to bothe these companies, a very reputable roofer. One of the largest roofers in Columbus. Not only could they not properly put tongue and groove boards fit tightly together; it is crooked, split from overnailing, sections upside-down, rotten decking, warped felt paper, improperly nailed shingles...there was not one area of the entire process from contract bid to arbitration that they did not mess up. They lost, I received back nearly all my money.

Moral: Do your research yourself. Ask for references and visit them if you can. Document, document, document.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Oh well, I gave up the real world and moved to my vacation home (an old old mobile home) on the banks of one of the most beautiful lakes in the USA... I'm still new here and building local business is slow. Hopefully I'll be on the good side of Angie's list. Funny you mention roofers... one of my side gigs is occassionally repairing roofs on apartments for one of the largest construction companies/property management agencies in Alabama. I'm not saying they don't do good roofing... I just get alot of business repairing the one's they built. (2) Years ago my mom hired the largest roofing company (and the highest bidder!) to do a roof on a rental house. I spent the next 10 years replacing sheetrock in the ceiling and patching the same are of the roof. Finally I totally ripped the roof apart and rebuilt it to eliminate a turn in the valley.... problem solved. A big part of the problem is that the old wood was held down by old rusty nails and would pull up in high winds. The wood went back down but the nails stayed up causing lots of leaks over the years.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Funny this thread is still running. I just got spammed by Angies list today from the Tampabay affiliate. They are on my S*** list now.

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
It was a typical HTML email with all the bells and whistles. Telling you how much you need them etc. I don't think there was any corilation between this thread and the Spam. I just thought it was odd that this thread was ongoing and I get the Spam during it.

I am not a member and won't be. I know a bazillion contractors in my area. I know the good and the bad, so I don't need a "for profit" entity to help me find the guy who is heavily sponsored by them to do my work. Even though you can get a good contractor from their recommendations, you must realize the "for profit" thing is what concerns me the most.

I'm sure some of the guys out there have worked for American Home Shield. The company that insures homes for a year after the sale or longer if you care to keep the contract going. It didn't take me long to find out how many things weren't covered after a few service calls. They make you think your are covered against practically everything. Better read the fine print. And if you stick up for the customer, your not going to get any more of their work.

bob...

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Inverness.. ugh... too much big money, too many snobs, too many apartment dwellers... give me the air and the smell of pine trees!!!! (Have you ever seen what happens to an overcrowded box of rats? That's close to what happens in a big crowded city... it's nasty!) NO WAY to sell out of this place and get crammed in a city ever again... We must be in the same age group... My joints are too rusty to do just any kind of work anymore. I frequently turn down jobs where I have to look up alot. My sister lives out past Inverness down in the narrows off of 280...garden homes... for what they paid for that cracker box of a house where they can spit on both neighbors without moving out of one spot I can get a double wide and 40 acres in Cullman and be lots happier and safer.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've never been much of a traveler and some of the hard knocks in life definitely kept me close to home. I went to Denver with my family in 1957 and a few years ago I went back there to deliver some restaurant equipment that I sold over the internet... it was a good father/son trip and mainly just to get away from a dying business. I was definitely needing a change in my life at the time. Other than that, except for basic training at Lackland AFB, I've never been north of the Mason Dixon and only a couple of times west of the Mississippi (as far as Killeen,TX) while working as a "rent-a-driver" for a truck driver employment agency.
Not knowing much about other parts of the world, I've never been anywhere that the people are any better or nicer. My neighbor lives in California. He told me that he is seriously consdering moving back here full time and that his wife can come if she wants to or just stay there. His whole reasoning is simply that there is just such a big difference in the people and the lifestyle. If you've not been around since the 80's I can tell you that the traffic on 280 has only gotten worse. I-459 is open 1/2 way around Birmingham (on the south side of I-59)... and Birmingham is #4 in the nation in it's rate of murders... highly concentrated in inner city black areas...lots of drugs and drive by shootings. Downtown is highly minority oriented and most contracts are going to minority owned companies. Alot of the old department stores and other buildings are being converted into loft apartments. I worked with a contractor last spring plumbing one of these... the old Blach's department store. These seem like alot of kickback, high dollar, schemes to me..and very politically backed...but that's politics everywhere. Alabama & Auburn are still the big colleges to watch and football is all anyone wants to talk about except for lots of folks into NASCAR racing. The growth around Birmingham has been nothing short of phenomenal. Hiway 280 has developed tremendously all the way out past Chelsea with high dollar everything. Trussville area has gone up the same way. All of the places that were classy and nice in the 70's are falling to the wayside, getting run down and becoming crime ridden....and people who can are moving out. Even the area around Jefferson State Jr. College which used to be heavily wooded is now heavily populated with lots of housing developments, apartments and businesses. Walmart has killed all the businesses in small towns and Target is aiming at them. Hmmm... I could probably write a book on the changes I've seen without even touching on politics and the huge growth of prisons and what an industry that has become.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Should I ever make it back to T'town I'll seriously consider having them make package I can send you and hubby. We do have a couple of good BBQ places. Near Hanceville there's a place almost out in the road "Top Hat". And, near the walker county line there's Green Top. Both are super good and hard to truly enjoy without a good cold beer.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Don't know what to say to that... I've got 3 ex-wives but none resulted from that fate. Fortunately...maybe this time.. I'm really mad at this woman that lives with me because she didn't come into my life 30 or so years ago. It sure could have saved me lots of grief had she been around rather than having to do so much sampling to find someone that could get along with me.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I had a difficult time finding a woman who would use a shovel and get on a ladder... my prerequisites for a serious relationship!

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hmmm.. a whole 'nuther thread.. I got into oil painting for a while... no time to go there.... Drop your easel and get a ladder. Starving artists don't eat well.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I got weirded out for a while thinking I wanted to be the next Norman Rockwell. I had a few friends who were amazing artists...totally self taught. We critiqued and taught each other and just passed on alot of "how to" things...kinda what's happening on this here forum here.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I used to do alot of SCUBA diving... no way in hell am I gonna jump out of an airplane... actually I wouldn't mind the jump... it's hitting the ground that scares me. Falling off of a ladder is scarey enough. I have issues with just climbing up on roofs.....ain't jumping out of no airplane...uh uh..no way.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
SCUBA is great. I was certified in 1967 but haven't done it in years. I need to start it up again.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I got certified in '70.... looks like we got a bunch of old farts in this forum. I've got 3 tanks sitting on my front porch...over 10 years since last hydro. Two have k-valves and one with a J-valve.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ya... I've been trying to save up a couple of water heater tanks for ballasts on the submarine I drew plans for about 40 years ago. Hey,,. this lake has very clear water... decent visibility except on summer weekends. Maybe I'll take a couple of pictures today and show you guys what my humble abode looks like....A BIG MESS!

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Cookie said:
Did you get cerified about age 18? I am proud to be 80. ONLY kidding, I will now sound young when I tell you I am now...ha, will never tell.

Cookie I was certified at 12 yo.
Some special designation called "Blue Sharks" in Los Angeles. It was one of the most difficult things I've ever done.
I had to pass the tests by all the adult standards mentally & Physically.

And in LA-back in 1968 a lot of Divers were Hard drinkin-Womanizing-pistol packing hombres.
Spending 36 hours in close quarters with these guys aboard ship near Catalina Island was
pretty eye popping for me at 13. yea buddy...
:D

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks