Gas water heater (good - better - best)

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael McCann

Reaction score
I will be replacing and moving my exsiting 40 gal gas water heater. Please help me make the right choice in quality. I need a natural gas, direct vent, 40 gal water heater. Which brand should I purchase? Any links would be helpful as well. Thank you
Mike

Michael McCann

Reaction score
A little search

I read some past posts and replys and found some interesting answers to my question. I'm sure this question is asked frequent enough though. One brand I could not find info on is Maytag. Any thoughts? Other suggestions are still greatly appreciated
Mike

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Basicly, Bradford White and Rheem are rated #1 with Bradford White a little more favored after that what ever you want. Stay away from Sears, State, A.O. Smith, Low*s, Whirlpool.

Just my NSHO.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Water heaters

Bradford-White, State/AO Smith, Ruud, and American are the major manufacturers. Most of the other brands are made by one of these four under a rebranded lable. And as such, their heaters are identical to the ones under the manufacturer's brand. Maytag is made by State, if I remember correctly. The determining factor as to which I install is which one does the supply house sell.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You forgot a biggie, Rheem, which is a reputable and reliale manufacturer. Their labels include GE, Ruud, Richmond, and Perfect-Fit.

Whirlpool corp had purchased Maytag. I believe both WH are made by American, and they are the ones with the repeated problems with inlet screen and odd-ball left hand thermocouple.

Within each brand and label, you will find good-better-best models. There are some minor differences between them but the big difference is cost and length of warranty.

Michael McCann

Reaction score
Big Thanks

Appreciate all the info. Now I have some insite on dealing with sales. Thank you guys.
Mike

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Wh

The major differences between the different heaters within one brand is the length of warranty and price. The heaters are usually all the same, but as the warranty period increases, the price also does because you are purchasing an "insurance" policy to cover the additional years. In fact, one manufacturer changes from 6 years to 10 years by charging you an additional $100.00 and giving you a new tag to put on the heater.

corypollock

Reaction score
does bradford sell under any other labels that may sell direct? i noticed they will only sell through contractors...

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
corypollock said:
does bradford sell under any other labels that may sell direct? i noticed they will only sell through contractors...

Not that I'm aware of. In Cincinnati they will sell to the homeowners instead of licensed plumbers only.

Had a service call on a 3 year old Lowe's Whirlpool water heater. Wouldn't stay lit, tried to clean spark arrestor with no result.

Installed two 40 gallon gas 9 year Kenmores in the past 4 days. Only had 2 callbacks on I couldn't say how many in the past 4 years.

V

vaplumber

Have had best luck with Rheem/Ruud in both gas and electric models. Stay away from State.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks