shower diverter stem

Users who are viewing this thread

mkbnc

Reaction score
I recently replaced the diverter stem in our main shower. It shuts of the water flow to the shower head completely, but when you turn the shower on some water comes out of the shower head but water also continues to flow from the spout. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
The bib washer is not seating properly. Did you replace the stem with the identical one? If so, you probably have to replace the brass seat. You need a seat wrench to do this. The only other thing I can think of, is if a piece of the old rubber washer is still down there mucking things up.

Attachments

• Seat Wrench.jpg
    Seat Wrench.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
It's not the bib washer or seat. As I read it, that end works good. It's got to be that the stem doesn't seat upon it self when turning the stem away from the internal seat thats stops water to the spout. When working well, there still is a dribble to the spout.

You must have had a brand name to find the proper replacement, what is it?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
diverter

That is not always a bad thing. In the "old days" diverters, (the ones on the tub spout), were intended to leak so that the diverter would reset to the tub side after the shower was used. That prevented the next user from getting a blast of cold water when the faucet was turned on. But, stem type diverters are different. The main difference is that they are usually a double seated stem, and if the stem does not fit into the valve body exactly, then water is able to penetrate around the stem, and no amount of tightening will stop it.

mkbnc

Reaction score
plumber1 said:
It's not the bib washer or seat. As I read it, that end works good. It's got to be that the stem doesn't seat upon it self when turning the stem away from the internal seat thats stops water to the spout. When working well, there still is a dribble to the spout.

You must have had a brand name to find the proper replacement, what is it?

It is an American Standard. I found it by looking through catalogues at the hardware store.

The one that I replaced had a plastic bit at the end that had broken. I think I got all of it out, but I'm not sure - and I don't know how to check. Just for the record, I'm a plumbing novice.

mkbnc

Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
The bib washer is not seating properly. Did you replace the stem with the identical one? If so, you probably have to replace the brass seat. You need a seat wrench to do this. The only other thing I can think of, is if a piece of the old rubber washer is still down there mucking things up.

Thanks for the info and the picture. I bought a seat wrench today. I'll give it a go tomorrow. Btw, I did replace it with an identical one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks