(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Condensate neutralization, or not?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Default Condensate neutralization, or not?

I live in a row of townhouses. The internal drains are pvc which drains into a cast iron run before it goes out of the building to the city sewer. All of the people have condensing furnaces/boilers. Nobody has neutralization kits on that output. Considering that they will all dribble acidic condenstate into the drain overnight when it is the coldest when nobody is flushing toilets, showering, etc. is it likely that we will have problems with the line? Should we force everyone to install a neutralization kit for the condensate?
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

If nobody is flushing toilets at night, then you must not have any of us old folks living in your townhouses.

It might be useful to have someone read the water meter at midnight and at 6 AM to see how much water is used over night.

If you really have a problem, it would probably be better for the association to put in a dribbler to dilute or neutralize for the whole building, and make it part of the common expense.

Hadn't thought about a 'common' one. In actuality, that may be the best bet. It would be hard to get a reading on the pH level in the main drain.

Was wondering if people have experienced problems with this condition. Problem is, the really high efficiency units haven't been around all that long, so the volume is probably larger now than it was with the older units.

Anybody have some experience on this or recommendations?
    Jim DeBruycker
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Hadn't thought about a 'common' one. In actuality, that may be the best bet. It would be hard to get a reading on the pH level in the main drain.

Was wondering if people have experienced problems with this condition. Problem is, the really high efficiency units haven't been around all that long, so the volume is probably larger now than it was with the older units.

Anybody have some experience on this or recommendations?
    Jim DeBruycker