Going through check valves fast on sprinkler pump system

Users who are viewing this thread

rgbutler

Reaction score
I installed a 4 foot well head for a sprinkler system 9 months ago. I completed the sprinkler system and actually started using the pump just 3 months ago. Everything was working well, and then the pump started cycling continuously. My brother suggested we install a check valve, which we though was part of the well head. After installation, the system worked for about a month and then started cycling again. I assume the check valve has failed. Is this common, to have the fail in shallow well systems? Is there a better way to do this? I am very new to all of this and just trying to learn as I go; any help would be deeply appreciated. thanks!!!

Speedbump

Reaction score
What is a well head???

Why the check valve? What kind of pump do you have? Are you using a pressure tank. If so, what kind? What controls the sprinklers?

Pictures???

bob...

rgbutler

Reaction score
I guess its called a well point. Here is basically what I have in the attached drawing. (at least I hope it attached okay). I am using a Starite HNE 1 Hp shallow well pump. We installed a check valve because the pump kept losing pressure, even when there was no demand and the shut valve closed, located just after the pump. Without it the pump keeps cycling on and off to maintain pressure. It didn't do it at first, month or two, but then it started. Put in check valved which helped immediately, but failed after a month. don't know what else to do. Do I need to replace the pump?

Attachments

• well with check valve.jpg
    well with check valve.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 3,093

Raucina

Reaction score
We still have not heard if you have a pressure tank in the system. If not, then thats your answer, or...... to crank up the pressure and open the sprinklers up to match the pumps output.....providing that does not exceed the wells gpm rating. You can run it without a tank as long as it never reaches shutoff pressure and then cycles back and forth.

rgbutler

Reaction score
I have a very small presssure tank on top of the pump. The sprinkler timer opens the valves for sprinklers. So the pump should not run until the the valves are open. I can shut off a valve immediately after the pump, so there is no demand. Then turn on the breaker and the pump runs and stops continuously. so it appears it can't maintain the internal pressure and keep the water ready for the system. A check valve was added when this problem started to help keep the water in the pipe to help maintain pressure, but only worked for a short while.

R

Rancher

Your sprinkler timer probably has an output to turn the pump on, mine does, that's how you control a pump that only supplies water to irrigation/sprinklers.

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
Ths little tank is probably no good (waterlogged). So it acts like just more pipe full of water which cannot be compressed.

bob...

rgbutler

Reaction score
going to try another tank. As far as the sprinklers coming on, they are controller by a timer that opens a valve which creates a demand for water. The timer doesn't connect to the pump. thanks for the input, will see what I can do.

R

Rancher

What brand and model is your timer, like I said most have a separate output that is on when any of the stations are timed on, If you don't have one with a separate pump control, get one. And then you can get rid of the pressure tank.

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks