(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Going through check valves fast on sprinkler pump system

Hybrid View

Default Going through check valves fast on sprinkler pump system

I installed a 4 foot well head for a sprinkler system 9 months ago. I completed the sprinkler system and actually started using the pump just 3 months ago. Everything was working well, and then the pump started cycling continuously. My brother suggested we install a check valve, which we though was part of the well head. After installation, the system worked for about a month and then started cycling again. I assume the check valve has failed. Is this common, to have the fail in shallow well systems? Is there a better way to do this? I am very new to all of this and just trying to learn as I go; any help would be deeply appreciated. thanks!!!

Previous member

What is a well head???

Why the check valve? What kind of pump do you have? Are you using a pressure tank. If so, what kind? What controls the sprinklers?

Pictures???

bob...

I guess its called a well point. Here is basically what I have in the attached drawing. (at least I hope it attached okay). I am using a Starite HNE 1 Hp shallow well pump. We installed a check valve because the pump kept losing pressure, even when there was no demand and the shut valve closed, located just after the pump. Without it the pump keeps cycling on and off to maintain pressure. It didn't do it at first, month or two, but then it started. Put in check valved which helped immediately, but failed after a month. don't know what else to do. Do I need to replace the pump?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We still have not heard if you have a pressure tank in the system. If not, then thats your answer, or...... to crank up the pressure and open the sprinklers up to match the pumps output.....providing that does not exceed the wells gpm rating. You can run it without a tank as long as it never reaches shutoff pressure and then cycles back and forth.

Previous member

Are you saying you installed check valve on top of the screen?

I have a very small presssure tank on top of the pump. The sprinkler timer opens the valves for sprinklers. So the pump should not run until the the valves are open. I can shut off a valve immediately after the pump, so there is no demand. Then turn on the breaker and the pump runs and stops continuously. so it appears it can't maintain the internal pressure and keep the water ready for the system. A check valve was added when this problem started to help keep the water in the pipe to help maintain pressure, but only worked for a short while.