Well off long time do I need to Prime it?

Users who are viewing this thread

dounojesus

Reaction score
Hi, I am buying a home and want to move in this Friday but it has a well and it has been without power for several months. Do I need to do anything special when we turn on the power or will everything be ok if I just turn on the power to the well. The well is only 3 years old. Should I have a plumber/electrician come out? Thanks for any help you can give!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did you get the water tested before you bought the place? Might not be a bad idea.

One of the pump/well guys will chime in. But, if I were to start it up (and I'm a neophyte on wells), I'd first check the air precharge in the bladder tank and adjust as required. This should be 2# less than the normal turn-on pressure of the pump. Then, once I got that straight, I'd turn on the pump, open a faucet, leave the hot water heater off, and then open up a hot water faucet, maybe in the tub, and let the water run to purge all of the stagnet water out of that ,and then I'd go to each faucet and run the water for say 5-minutes or so, then shut them all. While doing this, I'd be watching the pressure the pump was able to provide, and watch the quality of the water from a clarity viewpoint and smell. This should clear out most silt and stagnet water. The pros may tell you to shock the well with chlorine, but I don't know.

Once you get it all flushed out, then I'd turn the hot water heater back on. If you haven't had the water tested, I'd consider using bottled water for drinking and brushing teeth until I did. If you boil it for cooking, I'd not worry about that. If you have an ice-maker on the refrigerator, I'd leave that off until I had th ewater checked, too. All is probably okay, but better safe than sorry.

Speedbump

Reaction score
The above is all excellent advice.

It would also help to find out what kind of pump you have. A jet or a submersible.

If it's only three years old, and done professionally, it is probably a sub.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks