Brass Pipe Thread Connections...

Users who are viewing this thread

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
When conencting brass fitting, etc. what thread prep. do you like? Teflon? Teflon with something else? Something else alone?

Curious,

Pete

Prashster

Reaction score
Search the forum for 'teflon tape'. There have been umpteen debates about teflon tape vs pipe dope vs both.

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I see that! -- Ok. I think I'll stick with what I've been doing. Teflon Tape. Wrapped int he proper direction to the proper thickness. ;)

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
hj, I'm thinking I might try the stuff you're talking about. I've always used tape... what are the benefits of the teflon dope v. the teflon tape if the tape is applied correctly?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
thread

Maybe none, but I helped a friend do a large piping job many years ago and he wanted to use the Teflon tape. Many joints leaked and he expected me to help him change them to paste dope as a courtesy.

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Cass & Everyone... I ended up with Rectorseal T PLUS 2... "Teflon Enriched Pipe Thread Sealant".

I'm using it for 1/2 Brass MIP > 1/2 ProPex going into a Shower valve body...

Good enough?

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it. I've always used tape, so this will be the first time using this.

Thanks again.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
For me, teflon tape has never been too satisfactory. One has to be too fussy about wrapping it the right direction, not too close to the end of the thread, but not too far away either. I have never used any of the special dope compounds, just the regular Oatey pipe dope. I have used this on water and gas connections without a problem. Easy to apply even in a cramped crawl space.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
I carry both in my tool bucket. Lately, all the steel or brass nipples and fittings are made in China. Sometimes you have to use tape and dope to get a good seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks