Here's a Picture, How Do I Move Drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
I had a vanity that faced the wall with the drain.

Now, I want to put a vanity facing the wall with the toilet.

The vanity only comes out 18" from the wall with the toilet (to the pencil hash marks on the wall)

So, I need to move the hot water supply and the drain over so that i can bring it in the side of the vanity.

1. Is there going to be a problem with moving this because of the vent?

2. Also, what kind of slope do i need from below the vanity to the vertical in the wall?

Thanks in advnce,
Molo

Attachments

• vanity.jpg
    vanity.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 495

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
And where do you plan on moving the toilet to, or how do you plan on using both? The way it looks now, it appeared to be a knee knocker, it will really be a butt kisser if up against the toilet.

Molo

Reaction score
no but kissing

There is a 26" space between the wall with the plumbing on it, and the toilet. The pic doesnt show that well. I have a 24"vanity that will fit in there well, the back of the vanity and the back of the toilet will be on the same wall. No but kissing, no kidding.

Molo

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Putting that vanity there will violate code as far as free access 15" on each side of C/L toilet. Of course, I don't think the present install passed muster either.

Molo

Reaction score
OK, We'll be allright with the way this toilet will be.
But I see you're point.

What do you guys think about the original questions on the drain?

Thanks,
Molo

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
That would be a hard one, without a diagram of the room, and a better wide shot to try to show the whole room.

As for the original question, you can do it, but the slope would have to be proper to not allow water to sit in the pipe.

Justin_NJ

Reaction score
moving the drain

Molo,

In this situation, i'd cut out the Tee. On the bottom side, cut the pipe about 1 inch or so below the existing tee and about 6 inches above. Put in a new tee turned 90 degrees to the right on the drain side. On the top of the tee you will need to add a new piece of pvc to connect to your vent. If the vent has no play up and down, you can use a fernco (no-hub) coupling to join the two pieces.

You now should have the new drain about 1 and 1/2 inch lower... this will give you plenty of room to run your pipe over to the right and have a good slope. At least 1/4 inch to the foot. don't forget you will also have some pipe in the vanity where you come there the wall that should also be sloped.

You can then move your copper pipes around the drain to get them under the sink.

good look

Molo

Reaction score
Great answer Justin, Thanks for your response. I'm going to get get into this project ASAP.

Molo

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Out-of-the-box thinking at its finest

Got to admit, I was looking at running the pipes around the corner, but there's obviously no rule (well, maybe there is, but I'd ignore it) saying the pipes have to be in the wall behind the vanity. If there are no drawers, etc., in the left side of the vanity (not likely in a 24" vanity), the pipes can connect into the left wall.

Depending on what's above this drain connection, you might be able to cut the pipe below the T, rotate the T and everything above it 90 degrees, slip a coupling in there, and cement it back together.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks