Drywalling question

Users who are viewing this thread

Coach606

Reaction score
I have a second floor attic that we just dormered out with four dormers. It's not a huge space (we have a bungalow) but it's a fair amount of drywalling. We also want to resurface the ceilings of three rooms below that were damaged in the construction above it.

I've called several companies, mostly painting companies, but some drywall and they all either want to charge $100 a board or are total flakes and never come through on the estimate.

Any suggestions for how to weed through these companies for one that really wants the work and will be reliable? I've had three guys over to the house and none of them gets back when they say they will, even for $100 a sheet! I really don't want to hire someone like that.

Khayes

Reaction score
You might speak with a drywall crew (in my area they're usually Hispanic) who are already working in a nearby subdivision that's being built out. I had good luck doing this for my own house. They were interested in working on my project on their own time and gave me a very good price. It might take longer since they only work after-hours but these guys are usually highly skilled and should do a great job.

Coach606

Reaction score
Thanks...

I got a reasonable quote, finally, but the guy was a bit flaky. A second company came out the other day and seemed like real pros. Just waiting for the quote. For $60-70 a board they're hired.

Prashster

Reaction score
Ask them if they nail or screw (screw preferred).

Also, ask em what material they corner bead with. Some just tape it. Nice to have metal (although in yr attic not sure it matters whole heck a lot).

Make sure they cart their crap away.

Vaccuum duster will go scads to keeping rest of yr house dust-freeish. Make sure they got one.

Ask them if they'll shim out if walls're outaplumb - or if you can work with em to do it when they discover.

ETHBilly

Reaction score
You might try checking the want adds. I use a couple of guys here where I live who started thier own company that way. How ever I already knew how to hang drywall so I knew if they were doing it right. Learned from my big brothers years ago. But when my children came along I had to hire the job. A must, make sure they are licenced and insured. Don't want to end up with a law suit or having to pay some ones hospitals bills. Have you thought about doing the job yourself? I know some of the home supply stores offer classes on how to do stuff like that. It would save you a lot of money if you did it yourself. That is if you have the time.

galacon

Master Electrician & Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.goalelectrical.com
My tip for finding a good subcontractor (if you don't have a personal recommendation from a good friend or relative) is to go to a supply house for the trade in question. By this I mean a REAL trade specialty supply house (NOT Home drippo et al...) and ask them who they would recommend.

They will typically steer you to a good customer of theirs, which usually means someone who runs a respectable business and pays their bills on time!

This strategy cuts your risk of hiring a yahoo considerably...

Just my 2c

G

Molo

Reaction score
Get references and call them! I just got out of small-claims with a drywall guy that did a terrible, unfinished job, and still demanded his payment. I was in a jam so I hired the guy after the 3-4 good drywallers i know were all too busy. "Haste makes Waste" i guess!

Also, It's a great idea to find a crew on a job nearby and then you can see their work. Also if you are near a building-trades school that can be a great resource. I would call the instructor and ask him to recommend 2 hard-working kids to get it done (you have to consider liability and insurance issues here). A relative did this and these guys worked hard and did a great job!

Coach606

Reaction score
update

I'm in the middle of it now. I hired a company who was the most professional in dealing with me and was a straight up drywall company. He worked with me on the contract and so far so good. They were walking on stilts resurfacing the ceiling and he got back to me in a single day about quotes, concerns, etc.

But today was the first day that no one was here and no work getting done, and no one answering the phone at their office.

We'll see.

Coach606

Reaction score
He just got back to me and offered to work sunday.

I'm still happy with his work. It was complicated, too, with curved, barrel dormers. he spent a lot of time working on them to get them right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks