Window Sash Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Khayes

Reaction score
I am getting ready to help my daughter and husband replace the windows in their 1960's brick ranch house. Most of the outside casings and sills are in good shape. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience using sash replacement kits? I am looking specifically at Jeldwen's Zap-Pak system. Oddly it seems we can get an entire window unit for less money than the sash-only kit, but the sash kits seem to have the advantage that all the work can be done from inside the house plus it seems that the installation will go a lot faster, especially after learning the ropes from the first window. Thanks for any help and ideas.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'm having all the windows in my brick house replaced with vinyl high-efficiency, laminated, hurricane-proof, low-E, argon-filled, high-octane, low-fat windows. It took an experienced crew 3 hours to do the first window before retiring to think it over a bit. My advice based on this experience would be to proceed as you're doing, and try one window before investing in a lot of them. I don't have any experience with sash-only kits, so can't advise you there, but a quick Google search found several satisifed DIYers. I don't see how that would work in my case, since the old windows are all aluminum single-hung windows. If you decide to try a complete window replacement, tear out the old window first, to see exactly what kind of hole you'll have to put the new window into. We ran into some weird construction these guys hadn't anticipated that threw their measurements off. What kind of windows are your originals?

Last edited:

RRW

Reaction score
I put in some wood sash replacement windows (I had to prime and paint them) and have been very happy with them. They had the cleats that staple in and then the plastic tracks pop in over them with foam liner behind them. They seal very tight and are great soud blockers. I hear that Marvin offers some kind of product like this also. RW

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Marvin has a line or replacement windows they call Infinity that is made of fiberglass rather than vinal. You can get them in several colors, and on the inside, you can get them unfinished with a wood grain which you put a gell stain on. The big advantage of these is that since the fiberglass is soo much stronger than the vinal, you end up with nearly the same glass area as the original window (actually maybe even more) - a typical vinal window replacement is fairly thick and your glass area will likely be smaller than what you took out. Plus, the fiberglass expands and contracts at almost exactly the same rate as the glass, so there is less stress on the glass assembly - it should last longer.

Khayes

Reaction score
Thanks RRW - that sounds like what I'm looking at. Mikey's suggestion about ordering 1 window as a trial makes a lot of sense. I appreciate the responses.

RRW

Reaction score
No Problem, one more suggestion. If you are going to do one window and may not follow through until later, consider the bathroom window if there is one. It makes a huge difference in how the bathroom feels on chilly mornings. Good Luck RWells

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
..and the bathroom window is usually smaller, so if you're installing it yourself it's easier to handle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks