Winter use of cottage

Users who are viewing this thread

yakdog

Reaction score
I have a small cottage that I would like to use during the winter. The cottage is not very well insulated and it only has electric baseboard heat. The hot water tank and well pressure tank are in a partial basement, which is not heated. A section of the hot and cold supply lines run from the basement, under the front of the cottage to the bathroom, directly exposed to cold air. Temperatures below zero are not uncommon here.

Rather than try and improve the insulation, wrap the pipes, and keep the entire cottage heated to prevent the pipes from freezing, etc., I was thinking of an alternative. Is there a system that would allow me to force the water in the lines back into the well, using an air compressor perhaps. What about the hot water tank and well pressure tank? I was thinking I could frame them in, insulate the "closet" and just try and heat this small space, instead of the entire basement. Would I shut off the power to the hot water tank, since the water supply would be turned off as well? I would then only need to put some RV anti freez in the traps and I would be all set until my next visit.

Any sugestions? Would this work?

Thanks.

Raucina

Reaction score
You would need to know the exact route of all the pipes and be sure there are no low spots. You can drain the water heater and the pressure tank manually- some water left not under pressure may freeze but since it has a place to go like up, then it won't break anything.

Assuming there is a check valve somewhere on the pump, you would add a drain valve at the low point - open it and let the water run out or assist it out with the air pressure blown in at a high spot from a compressor. Not many do that, and simply use gravity for the drain.

All of this can be a real pain if the system was not plumbed to be freezing unfriendly. What did the last occupants do?

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I do that on a regular basis. Your big problem will be as mentioned before, how is the house plumbed? It is possible to blow the system down, and still have enough water left in a pipe to freeze.

I have a drain located in a pit where it can easily be opened to blow down. Don't forget your traps and toilets.

Paul

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
winterizeing the cotage

blowing outthe ines is no big deal

your problem is it would be best to just

drain everytihing down and drain the well tank too

the water in the well line going to the bladder

wil natrually drain back down

into the ground if you leave the boiler drain on the

bottom of your well tank open......

all you need is an air compressor and one of htose ari compressor kits you see at lowes that has the little
air gun in it and hook yourself up a piece of
hose to the end of that air gun....

all yougo tto do is drain everythign down then
blow back all the lines withthe 140psi air

trying to heat just that well tank all winter is risky

and it dont take much to recharge the whole system

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks