Exploding Fill Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

afroe

Reaction score
I have a toto toilet and late last night the fill valve exploded and knocked the ceramic lid ajar. The snap for the fill valve came off and would not snap back on. Thankfully we were home, and thanks to a quick shutoff valuve no major damage occurred.

We have a total of 4 toto toilets in the house. Should we worry about the valve in all of them. The one that exploded was one piece toilet. There is a whole house filter so I can't imagine any sand or other sediment in the valuve. Has this happened to anyone else?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of the Toto toilets use the Korky QUietfill valve. The top may not have been fully locked in place. About the only wear part in there costs about $2 and you have to remove that top piece to replace it. If the tabs were damaged, it might not lock in place. If you go to their website (Korky) you can view the installation/maintenance instructions and get a good idea on what to look for.

V

vaplumber

I dont like the Korky valves, but it seems like thats what everyone likes these days. Theyre cheap plastic tabs always break off when some one tries to mess with them, and Ive had issues with slow leaks. I always suggest spending the extra money for an old fashion-less brass ball cock and float, and then you wont have to call me and pay me for a service call when it wont shut off at 3 am. You might have to replace the original float arm with a sawed off piece of 1/4 rod to make it fit in some tight spaces, but its worth it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks