(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help From a Real Person Who Isn't Trying to Sell Me Something!

Default Help! We Need Advice From a Real Person Who Has No Stake in Our Choice of Toilets!

We're trying to choose the best-working, reasonably-priced toilet to replace a recent purchase that really doesn't "do the job." I just found this forum, which offers so much information I'm afraid I'll miss advice that would help us choose more wisely this time. I've checked Consumer Reports, which recommends the Briggs Vacuity 4200, and was ready to go with it until I read about about its problems here. I'd really appreciate hearing from folks who are happy with the choices they've made--plumbing is NOT my husband's favorite job and he doesn't want us to make another mistake!
    Last edited by JB; 10-16-2006 at 10:03 AM. Reason: to change subject line

Hi JB,

No one here will try to sell you anything. It seems that the majority of professionals and non-professionals here prefer Toto toilets for their performance.
    Prices for the well rated one-piece Toto Ultramax, for instance, run between $375 for a standard height round model, and about $100 more for one with an elongated bowl at the ADA height (16" to the bowl rim), which is more comfortable for many people. You'll see that those prices include shipping, in case your local plumbing supply house doesn't carry the brand and model you want. Generally, two-piece toilets (those with a separate tank) tend to cost less.

Another well liked toilet here is the Kohler Cimmaron, and you'll find a review thread on that toilet if you look.

I think spending more to get a really good toilet is money well spent. It's up to you.

Best wishes,

Mark H.
    Last edited by Reader Review; 10-24-2006 at 09:50 AM.

Have you perused Terry's reviews on this site? If not, start there.

Default Need Help From a Real Person Who Isn't Trying to Sell Me Something!

Thanks very much to those who have responded to my plea for help. With respect to how much we'd pay--our budget is pretty tight but we're willing to spend whatever it takes ($500???) to get a toilet that doesn't constantly clog up. I'm hoping that people who've owned Totos, or other brands, and are still happy with them a year or two down the line will let me know what brand/model they have. Am I correct that Terry rates the Toto Ultramax toilet MS854114S as the best on the market? Does anyone out there have actual experience with it? Thanks very much for any advice you may have.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking Eljer Is Good

I dont want to sell you anything.....dont care

I have a n Eljer in my house and it performs very well

occasionally I have used too much paper but that is

the natrual part of the morning after hot peppers on a

pizza...

Eljer is very good and you can even change out the flapper and make it into a bigger flush type toilet
    an eljer toilet should be found about anywhere.....
    $125.00

Gerber is pretty good

Toto is supposed to be the best, but is pricey

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I have a Toto Vespin and Carlyle. They are similar styles (skirted). Both have been working fine.

TOTO MS874114SG Carlyle
    Last edited by Terry; 03-21-2009 at 12:35 PM.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

vaplumber

If you can afford to spend the money, go for a Toto. I like all models except the economy models. If you wish to save money, and dont mind keeping a brush handy, go for a Kohler Cimmaron. I have had excellent luck with these, and you will find it almost un-cloggable. Whatever you do, stay away from all American Standard units. Weve had many issues with cracked tanks, and leaks between the tank and bowl. If you are instal yourself, go with the "hubless" ring (ring without the plastic cone), and use a high quality, moldless silicone caulk around the entire perimeter of the bowl to floor junction.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking Eljer clarification

I called my supplier today to see exactly
    what toilet I buy in Eljer....

we get the Patriot toilet (bowl)
    with the Savoy tank.....

at least that is what they are selling me......

they claim that the Partiot bowl has a full 2 inch trap
    tunning through it.....

I dont know the frist thing about the Cimmeron

If it's performance you're after, go with pressure-assist. Extraction capabilities are important but to prevent clogs, drain-line carry is the key and pressure-assist toilets, regardless of the brand, will always carry waste further down the drain-line than any gravity or vacuum style toilet.

Default Go with Toto

I recommend the Toto Drake. I've had mine about a year, and I have yet to clog it. The Drake replaced a Kohler Cimarron which had a very poor rinse. The Drake was expensive, but worth every penny I spent on it. I spent far more money over the years with a series of failures in my main bathroom.

It's hard to imagine a 1.6 gallon toilet performing better than a 3.5 or 5 gallon gusher, but the Drake does just that. I highly recommend it.

Good luck with your search.

achutch

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

I'm very happy with my Toto Drake, about $320 via the Web. Quasi-variable flush, maybe a bit noisy, but I have come to associate good flushing with noise, unless you're willing to spend a whole lot more money than I am. I've seen some posts here claiming the new American Standard Cadet 3 is a Drake knockoff that performs well at about $150 cheaper, but can't vouch for that. I've got an older AS Cadet with the Sloan Flushmate in it in the guest bathroom -- that thing will flush a bowling ball, but it scares people.

Scott, I'd like to hear more about drain-line carry. I've seen an ad for some brand or other that claims to flush 150', but I've never understood how one toilet can make 1.6 gallons go farther than another.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The flush probably flows several miles...course it is probably mixed with a lot of other stuff by then, too.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Hi Everyone and Thank You for your replies to my inquiry. It looks like the Toto Drake is what we've been looking for. Is there one model of the Drake that you recommend over the others? (I never knew there were so many choices out there!)

Default Drake Models

JB,

My Drake is the elongated ADA model, which I like because of the extra height and length. There is also the elongated regular height version of the Drake which is less expensive.

I bought my Drake from a plumbing supply dealer. They knew all about the MaP report (even showed me the graph with Drake at the top), knew about Terry's web site, and let me try a couple of test flushes to see G-Max in action before I bought the Drake.

Go for it. You will not be disappointed.

achutch

Default Thank You All!

I really appreciate your taking the time answer my question. We've pretty much decided on the ADA Toto Drake, and now I DO want someone who wants to sell it to me!
    Last edited by Terry; 04-10-2010 at 04:55 AM.