jetpump won't reach 50 PSI, installed new pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

mjasoncole

Reaction score
Goulds J+ 1/2hp JetPump, estimated 8 years old.
Cut-in is 30 PSI, cut-off is 50 PSI.
Pump won't reach 50 PSI anymore when running. Only reaches 47 PSI and keeps running. I have to flip the circuit breaker off and back on. Pressure maintains 47 PSI when water is not in use so I know there's not a leak between the pump and the well. I installed a new pressure switch and it still won't reach 50 PSI. Luckily with this new switch I can lower the 20PSI differential. Now cut-in is at 25 and cut-off is at 45. Though I no longer have to manually turn my well pump off can anyone tell me why I can't get 50 PSI out of my pump? Is there a servicable part on the pump that needs cleaning? Thanks!!!

Raucina

Reaction score
Sounds like the impeller is worn, maybe cracked and missing a vane. Its not an expensive change - keep it for backup and take it apart when time permits.

Speedbump

Reaction score
More than likely your water level has dropped a few feet and the pump just can't make the max pressure anymore. If the level comes back up after some rain and time for the aquifer to replenish itself, your pump will again make 50 psi.

A 1/2hp is a very small pump for todays standards. A 1hp would do a much better job and by putting a smaller venturi in the jet, you can get more pressure than before without sacrificing volume.

bob...

mjasoncole

Reaction score
Update!

So the new pressure switch has been working fine cutting in at 25PSI and cutting off at 45PSI. What I noticed this morning was that my water filter is full of dirt. Usually my filters last 5-6 months, but after 3 weeks its jammed full of sediment and needs changing. I'm obvoiusly sucking dirt from somewhere: either the bottom of my almost dry well or I have a leak in the piping coming from the well to my inside located jet pump.
So how do I tell if I need a new well drilled or whether I have an issue with perhaps a pin hole in the line running into my house.
When the water leaves my jet pump going to my water tank I have 2 pressure gauges. one just as the water leaves the pump and one just before thee water tank. When the pump is off these pressure gauges hold steady so I was initially not thinking that I'm leaking water anywhere. But could these guages also prevent water from leaking back into my well? If so, maybe I do have a leak in the line somewhere. A pin hole in the line could be resulting in the lack of pressure and could be quickly getting worse thus allowing soil to get into the line. Line or well? That is the question.
THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR FEEDBACK SO FAR. I APPRECIATE IT!!!!

Speedbump

Reaction score
Is this Goulds pump a shallow well jet or deep well jet. One pipe to well or two?

Is there a check valve on the pump anywhere or in the line anywhere that you can see?

I am not a fan of inline water filters, and don't have any idea why it is filling up. What kind of well do you have? Is it drilled, driven or hand dug?

Do you get air in the lines?

bob...​

mjasoncole

Reaction score
deep well - two pipes leaving the pump to the well.
do I see a guage somewhere on the line between the well and the pump? No.

A well guy is coming out tomorrow to pull the line going down into the well. He's going to inspect the foot valve. His thought is that part of the well caved in closing up some of the water cavity. Now the foot valve sits too low and is picking up the dirt.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If it's a drilled well and it caved in, you will have to start drilling an new one. I'm not sure what there is to inspect on the footvalve.

Caved in wells are usually not repairable.

bob...

mjasoncole

Reaction score
hopefully we can find out how much water is in the well when we pull the line. Hopefully it was a slight cave in and wouln't require a new well to be drilled. THanks

Raucina

Reaction score
You can drill down the same hole and then case it to depth to save some money if its low on water. If its caving at all and still making water then line it with a perf pipe or screen to preserve it. caved or not it should have made 50psi even if its pumping muddy water, so its a bit odd.

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
If the pump is pumping dirty water, then I'd guess that the nozzle in the deep well ejector is partially plugged. Check it too when you pull everything out of the hole.
Ron

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks