Need to replace leaking expansion tank-help!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

virginia-jim

Reaction score
Have an old 15 year air-water separator tank by Clayton Mark that has just started to leak. This tank is 5' 8" tall and 2' wide. The shallow well pump is a 1/2 hp. Flint and Walling with a measly 2 1/2 gpm. Do not know how deep well is. Pump runs for a long time before shutoff (on 20 psi, off 40 psi). What size/type of tank should I use to replace this huge tank? Am concerned that with only 2.5 gal. gallons per minute that I may run out of water if I use a bladder type. Should I replace with same style of tank that I presently have? Any reccomendations on best mfg? Would like to stay away from the air charging maintenace that comes with the air seperator tanks if possible, but don't want to run out of water. Wife is going thru "the change" and I don't need her to run out of water doing the laundry...she might change me!!! :D :D :D Any help will be greatly appreciated...thanks!

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can get a 119 gallon bladder tank and run it from 20 to 40 psi for maximum available drawdown within the pressure setting range.

Since you have such a small pump, you can get even more drawdown if you set it up with 18 psi precharge as you would for a 20/40 pressure switch setting, but set the pressure switch at 30/40, or 30/50 if the pump will handle it. You will start the pump sooner (at 30 psi), and store more water, with that arrangement. But you won't run out of water until the pressure reaches 18 psi.

You will have plenty of cycle time because your pump has such low GPM.

Raucina

Reaction score
You can also pound wooden plugs into the leak, weld a patch or epoxy a screw into it. [See other threads]

Since it sounds like you have a non bladder tank you can change it for a sears tank for about $249 . Its not in the catalog but you can find it online in a standard tank search at sears. You must have an air charge system - you would need to defeat it if you use a bladder tank.

Be warned - when the bladder tank breaks, it will send black goop into the laundry, and your wife in her condition might modify you with a ball pein hammer prior to exchanging you.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You can buy a plain ordinary galvanized tank from a supply house that sells water well materials. It can be precharged just like a bladder tank, but you will have to stay on top of that to keep the air in the tank. You may have an air maker since you didn't tell us if that F&W was a sub or a jet. This galvanized tank can be as big as you fit in the basement for more drawdown. Adding the air pressure will insure more than atmospheric drawdown would allow.

The pump will be running for a longer time to refill this tank, since you still have the 2.5gpm from the well.

There is also the cistern method that can give you plenty of water to use. It means buying another pump and a few controls, but works good.

bob...

virginia-jim

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's help. Sounds like that tank without a bladder is best for such a low GPM output. F & W is a 1/2 hp. jet pump. Could someone explain to me what is an air charge system? Is this just a method to add air via compressor from time to time? Thanks again...Jim

virginia-jim

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the air volume control. Seems that I would need tubing/pipe from pump to tank to use this. Which I can't do since well is in front yard under driveway, and tank is in basement. Would the bladder tank that does not require this valve be the best bet? A Well-X-Trol tank, WX-350 is $850. With 2.5 GPM, think I may need this size due to needed draw down volume. And does this tank give more draw down volume vs. galvanized tanks? With this amount of $$$ just would like to be sure I am doing the correct thing...wife has the ball pein hammer ready if I goof up!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Raucina

Reaction score
Buy the sears standard tank and give the wife a new washer also - its still cheaper than the 850$ colon tank. sorry - bladder tank

Dont be afraid of the air charge system - it seems you have a standard tank now, and it was working.... so either your well water has entrained air or there is a charge method that you cannot see.

Another option; 82 gallon Sears tank 289$ + weekend in Miami = $850

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks