(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: 2" Waste and Overflow for shower/footbath?

Default 2" Waste and Overflow for shower/footbath?

Hi all!

I have searched the forum and found many good answers to questions I have had, but not this one...

I am going to build a kerdi shower with a drain stopper and overflow to have 4" of water in the bottom of the shower for warm feet in cold winter. It will be a shower, so it needs a 2" drain, but I need the stopper and overflow, which I cannot find in 2". I don't want a popup drain stopper, I want to have the stopper in the pipe or under the drain so that there is nothing to stub a toe on.

Anyone know of such a thing?

Thanks!
    John
    Lenexa, Kansas

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

I think you'll be sorry if you do that, for a lot of reasons. I'd try to do an electrically-heated shower floor instead. Put that baby on a timer set to go off 15 minutes or so before your morning shower and you'll have a nice toasty shower without all the plumbing and cleaning hassles. I'd check out the idea on the John Bridge forum first, though, and have the experts there comment.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

try www.johnbridge.com for some ideas, comments, critiques.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I've been to the John Bridge Forums and found it to be a great site. It's where I first saw Kerdi and decided to use it.

I have found a couple of people there who have made similar footbath things. I believe that they used a 1 1/2" W&O, calling it a "bathtub", but I think that having 2" would make for less hassle, better draining, etc, so I wanted to ask some other plumbers if they were familiar with such a product.

I like the idea of heated tiles, but the electricity and water thing makes me hesitate.

Thanks for your help!
    John