Any stone masons out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have to do a minor repair to a stone fence, but I have never worked with native stone and mortar before. The original stones that fell out of the fence are there, so I don't need to worry about choosing the right stones. Also, I have to mortar in one of the hinge bolts of an old cast iron gate and raise it to the exact height that will allow the gate to latch properly on the other side. Do I need to shim the bolt, or can I just use the mortar to raise it up a bit?

What kind of mortar should I pick up and how much will I need for a few stones? Also, are there any tricks to using this kind of mortar? What's the best way to mix it up, what consistency do I make it, and how long can it sit in a wheelbarrow before it hardens up? Any tips on troweling it on?

TIA

jlohrenz

Reaction score
I'd post over at johnbridge.com There are several professional tile-setters that visit there regularly that could point you in the right direction.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
I have to do a minor repair to a stone fence, but I have never worked with native stone and mortar before. The original stones that fell out of the fence are there, so I don't need to worry about choosing the right stones. Also, I have to mortar in one of the hinge bolts of an old cast iron gate and raise it to the exact height that will allow the gate to latch properly on the other side. Do I need to shim the bolt, or can I just use the mortar to raise it up a bit?

What kind of mortar should I pick up and how much will I need for a few stones? Also, are there any tricks to using this kind of mortar? What's the best way to mix it up, what consistency do I make it, and how long can it sit in a wheelbarrow before it hardens up? Any tips on troweling it on?

TIA

Is this a dry or wet laid wall? You need to remove as much of the old mortar as possible and get back to good stone. I would use mortar for the bolt. It should hold better. Allow it to dry a few days B4 useing it. Keep it damp for maximum strength and don't allow it to dry out. Once dry redampining will do nothing.

Last edited:

Prashster

Reaction score
I second the referral to JohnBridge.com.
Between these two forums, I don't get ANY work done at my job...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks