Shower Valve stem?

Users who are viewing this thread

kenny

Reaction score
Afternoon folks,
I'm a newby around here so I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm kenny in Texas and I have a question about getting to a valve stem.
I have a double handle wall shower fixture (too long ago to remember the brand, or maybe I'm just too old to remember anything).

I took off one handle but there is a chrome tail piece(i guess that doesn't seem to come off. It disappears into the waal so I can't see a seam between it and the fixture. It's pretty flimsy so I'm afraid to put the channel locks on it.
The stem is inside and there's not much clearance between the stem nut and this tube surrounding it.
So, do you think that piece comes off or do I need deep socket to get to the stem nut? What size socket or are they a standard size?
Thanks in advance for any help, and i appologize if this has been asked hundreds of times.

kenny

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
You'll need a socket anyway to remove that stem. You can buy the whole bunch of plumbing sockets for around 10.00. You'll probably need to get that sleeve out first, though, so you'll have room for the socket to fit in. Have you tried pulling it out with a needle-nose pliers?

Attachments

• Plumbing Sockets.jpg
    Plumbing Sockets.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 664

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

From your descsription, I would guess it is a Price Pfister faucet. You need a socket that fits snugly, (mine is a 13/16" one), into the sleeve, but it does not have to be the one that fits the hex, and probably will not be. Place the socket inside the sleeve, (remember it should be a snug fit), then grip the sleeve with a pair of Channelock pliers and unscrew it. The socket will prevent the sleeve from distorting and jamming on the threads. Once it is off, then you can use a socket to remove the stem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks