"Wrapping" Outside of window frame

Users who are viewing this thread

Jwray

Reaction score
Anyone have any info on how to "wrap" the outside of a window frame after installing replacement windows?

I have a 1920s brick house and I plan to install vinyl replacement windows.

Currently I have the original double hung wood windows with some very cheap aluminum storm windows and a very poor aluminum wrapping job. The wrapping job is not very water tight and I'm concerned that the original wood exterior trim and sill may be deteriorated underneath.

One of those things where I won't know how bad it is until I get into it, but need to know how to do it before I get into it.

I think I'm OK with installing the replacement windows, but I wouldn't mind some tips there as well.

Thanks,

Joel

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Replacement windows do not offer any good method of sealing against weather. They are simply caulked in place. They rely on the flashing of the still-in-place original window frame .

Replacement windows are widely used here in S. Calif. where rain and cold wind are not big issues. I would not do it in a cold wet climate. I would take out the original window so a new window can be properly flashed.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'm doing this in a brick house in Florida. There is no exterior trim - the window is fastened inside the hole in the wall, recessed an inch or so. The replacement windows are set in and fastened to the brick in the same way, and sealed either with roll insulation (the window vendor's recommendation) or squirt-can foam designed for window/door installation (my choice). The gap is covered by a trim strip.

GregO

Reaction score
WindowTrim Capping

Joel,

Sounds like you need the windows "capped". This is usually easily done where trim coil (preferably PVC-coated) is custom bent on site, usually in a L or U design to cap or cover the exterior window trim. The sill piece should ideally extend underneath your new vinyl sill and slope away for water runoff.

All pieces (sill, sides, and header) can then be neatly caulked to create a nicely finished appearance. Any reputable window/siding company can perform this task.

Greg

indyjps

mechanical engineer
Reaction score
walk thru the aluminum/siding aisles of your local store, there should be plenty of flashing thats suitable, it may require modifications to be perfect for your windows. ive always been able to pull something off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks