Bubbling toilet-plz help-septic or plumber?

Users who are viewing this thread

timo

Reaction score
Two-story home on septic (bought it 3 yrs ago.) Built on slab in Florida, so can't access plumbing - no basement. 1st toilet bubbled when the washer (also 1st floor) drained recently. Problem seems to be getting worse; now 1st floor toilet bubbles when 2nd floor toilet is flushed, too. The toilet bubbles, drains, then doesn't refill until flushed.

With little money and panicked, I'm not sure whether to call a plumber, call a septic pumping company, or whether to somehow (?) locate the main line cleanout buried underground outside and rent a snake.

Who should I call? How can I tell if this is a septic problem (full) or clog in the line?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Start by having the tank pumped. How old is the home and are there any trees between or close by the house and tank?

timo

Reaction score
The home is 20 yrs old. No trees between home & tank..huge oak just past the tank. Moved in 3 yrs ago. We used Ridex & conscientious about not using excess soap & paper products. Former owners said "never any need to have it pumped." Would the septic guys be able to clear the line if it's a clog?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Not pumping is the worst thing you can do. Some pump companys carry snakes because sometimes a backup will cause a clog. If I were you I would pump every 2 years. Just set a date and do it. Don't wait till it backs up. The liquid going into the field should be just liquid, when it backs up your sending stuff to the field that will cause it (the field) to clog and eventually require a replacement which is very expensive in comparison to the cost of pumping.

Last edited:

timo

Reaction score
I'll call in the morning to have it pumped. Never had a septic before & nobody to help with advice. Thanks so much!!

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
The key here is "Never any need to pump the tank". I heard that statement so many times and by the time the home owner calls because his sewer backed up, the field bed is ruined because allot of sludge sifted out into the field tile and plugged it up.

Hopefully the guy that you get to pump the tank has a little more knowledge than being able to pump the tank.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'm told that 20 years is about all you can expect out of a septic system in Florida, BUT that's usually because of no, little, or poor maintenance. "Never a need to pump" falls into the first category. Head down the nearest county extension office and tell them you're a new septic system owner -- they should be able to fix you up with the basic set of "septic systems for dummies" literature.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks