G-Max flush - two modes?

Users who are viewing this thread

blerch

Reaction score
I just installed a Toto Dartmouth with G-Max. I notice if I turn the flush handle and release it right away, the water level drops only half way in the tank. Also, the bowl only fills halfway because fill time is cut in half.

However, if I turn and hold the handle for about two seconds, all the tank water drains and the bowl fills nicely.

I believe the reason for this is that the red flapper valve has a 1/2" round hole in the side (which allows water to quickly fill the flapper - causing it to drop quickly). I never had this type of flush action in my many previous (non-Toto) toilets.

Is this an intentional design (little flush-big flush) or do I have a problem? Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

Most new 1.6 gallon toilets have "timed" flappers. They only stay up a little while. Otherwise you would wind up draining the whole tank.

The black tube from the fill valve should be pointing into the overflow tube, that is what fills the bowl.

Normally, it would tend to overfill it.
If you aren't getting a full bowl, then check the small black rubber tube.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Basically, the newer toilets don't empty the tank when you flush. They use the height of the water to help generate a stronger pressure with the added pressure. You should find it works fine with the "normal" flush - i.e., don't hold it down so it empties; it shouldn't need it.

blerch

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for the quick responses.

I guess what surprises me is that I get two types of flushes and bowl fills depending on if I give the handle a quick pull or hold it for two seconds, as I initially described. On every other toilet I have owned (a lot since I'm 65), the flapper stayed up because of the trapped air in it until the tank was just about empty. Incidently, the black tube *is* in the overflow tube, but the flow cuts off when the main fill cuts off, as expected. I guess I'm just used to a nice full bowl. I haven't gone "live fire" yet, only test flushes, so I can't comment on the flushing action.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All of your old ones, didn't have to meet the 1.6gallon/flush requirement. SOme of them dumped in excess of 5 gallons. Try it, you'll like it...it does work when designed well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks