HELP! Hubby's gone and water pressure is real low

Users who are viewing this thread

Miztiki

Reaction score
I sure hope you can help me. My husband is on an extended business trip and of course something had to go wrong while he's gone.

Our water pressure is low, all over the house. When I first turn the water on it is fine but after a few seconds it just sort of falls out with no force behind it. I can't even fill the sink to do dishes unless I hold the lever up because the pressure is so low. We have just the one lever and not two knobs on our faucet.

I went outside with the flashlight and looked at the well/pump/whatever but I don't have a clue what I'm looking at. I do know that hubby noticed a leak there last week but he fixed it and I don't see anything leaking now.

There's a dial thing that's at 65.

We bought our house 2 years ago. I have no idea how old the well is or how deep it is.

Can someone help me out? Maybe guide me a bit so I can possibly find what's wrong and see if I can fix it? In the meantime I'm going to do a google search and see what I can learn on my own.

Thanks!

Miz

Raucina

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to rent a husband.... but first, check for a reset button near the tank or pump area on a small electrical box . If yes push it for a second - do not hold it.

Find the electric panel that serves that pump area. Same deal with the breaker - turn it off and then on. Dont try and hold it on. Sounds like you need a new pressure gauge also.

Look for some references from neighbors for honest repairmen.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
Did this suddenly start?

It sounds like the pressure tank since you have pressure when you are not running the faucet, but once the pump kicks in you should have water pressure again unless you have a really small pump.

The quickest fix is to take a pressure gauge and a tire pump and check the tanks "Charge" pressure. The charge pressure should be set to the pressure that the pump turns on at. Look on the top of the tank for a small plastic piece and unscrew it. There will be a fitting under it just like your car tire.

Don't do anything until you unplug or turn off the breaker to the pump!

1. Turn off pump
2. Turn on the water faucet and let the water all drain out. Leave faucet open
3. Use the gauge to check the pressure. Mine is at 27Psi
4. Add air if needed.
5. Turn breaker back on or plug it back in.
6. Close faucet after any air excapes

If the tank is bad, you will have to add air again and again until you replace the tank.

Warning: I am not an expert, nor do I state that I know what I am talking about.
Edit: procedure clarification

Last edited:

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
Raucina said:
but first, check for a reset button

I don't think it's the reset button since she can get water.

The pressure tank should be able to provide water for more than 3 seconds unless it's a really small tank.

Here is something to check.
Run the water that flows fast into a bucket and estimate the size compared to the size of the tank. The tank should be able to provide at least 1/4 of it's size in water before the pressure drops to 3/4.

The 65 psi also would indicate a tank problem due to water hammer.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
Check the other thread about the bleedback tube. "Water from Well Pump Bleeder Line"

If your system does have the old style tank the top will be completly smooth.

These type of systems need a small tube, which can sometimes leak. Sealing the tube will remove the air from the tank and cause the problems you are seeing.

Last edited:

Miztiki

Reaction score
I do need a rent-a-husband!

I noticed the last couple days that the pressure seemed a bit low but it didn't hit me until I went to do dishes. Now that I think about it, if I flush the toilet and then turn the water on to wash my hands, the pressure is low, and it's been like that for a while now.

The top of our tank is smooth.

Where would this "small tube" be located Bill?

Any chance it could just be that the filter needs to be replaced?

I've been reading about wells and pumps all this time, so sorry for not getting back quicker. I appreciate your help.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you have a filter and know how to change it by all means do change it. Filters are notorious for clogging and lowering pressure.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
A plugged filter would also fit the symtoms.

The new style precharged tanks are also smooth on the top.

It would be hard for me to explain where the tube would be if it used that type of system.

R

Rancher

Bill Arden said:
The new style precharged tanks are also smooth on the top.

It would be hard for me to explain where the tube would be if it used that type of system.

There wouldn't be a tube on a precharged tank.

I vote for the clogged water filter.

However I don't understand the "I can't even fill the sink to do dishes unless I hold the lever up because the pressure is so low" comment... does the lever fall down?

Rancher

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Some do, like Moens, with low water pressure and a new cartridge.

Raucina

Reaction score
I volunteer for the rent a husband. I work on a sliding scale dependant upon age and looks [photo will do] and how long hubbie will be gone. If you are over 100 miles away, you will need to provide room and board and wine also.
:rolleyes:

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
I, Could Use A Rental Husband

Raucina said:
I volunteer for the rent a husband. I work on a sliding scale dependant upon age and looks [photo will do] and how long hubbie will be gone. If you are over 100 miles away, you will need to provide room and board and wine also.
:rolleyes:

Hey Raucina,
I could used a rental husband and room & board is no problem. But, first, you'd have to get my shallow well jet pump running again. I haven't had time to bother w/ the problem yet.:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks