fiberglass sump pump pit has a crack/hole in the bottom

Users who are viewing this thread

phbate

Reaction score
I have a white fiberglass sump pump pit in my basement. The home was built in 1978. There is a drain pipe that dumps water into the pit. My problem is that there appears to be a small hole/crack in the bottom of the fiberglass pit. Can I repair the hole(about 1/4 inch)? I live in a high water table area and there is water in the bottom of the pit constantly. My pump runs 4-5 times each hour. How do I keep the pit dry enough to repair this or should I just install a new pit basin?Will this cause foundation issues if I dont repair it?
Thanks for you time.

Paul

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't bother...the pipes under the house are perforated. The water will come up through the hole in teh bottom of the pit, or try to float the basin. The crack may have helped preserve the basin. If, after a long dry spell, it is dry, you could use some auto fiberglass and resin to try to repair it, but it is a waste of time IMHO.

The house where I grew up had the sump pump run more than yours is. The town spring fed water supply was about 1/2 mile away...the water table was not far down! You may be in the same situation...not much you can do about it except move. Just make sure your check valve is working (you have one, right?), otherwise, you will be pumping the same water more than once. ALso, make sure you discharge the water far enough away from the house to help prevent it from running back down so you have to pump it again. Ensure your gutters drain away from the house and that the land is graded away from the house so you get the best runoff to help keep as much water out of the basement as possible.

Last edited:

phbate

Reaction score
I do have a check valve and it is working properly. I have always wondered if I was recycling the same water over and over again. I would like to find out where the discharge pipe goes, but I would have to dig up my yard to do it. The wierd thing is that the houses across the street don't have as much water in their pits.

Raucina

Reaction score
Maybe your discharge is into the city sewer which now is illegal in most areas.

Maybe your discharge line is broken and indeed you pump it more than once.

Maybe your neighbors discharge is into your own system. [neighbors can be very creative people indeed]

You can even drill holes in your sump - it doesn't matter.

Moral: never live within 5 acres of a neighbor and do not build basements.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks