Need Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

kgoings

Reaction score
I have recently taken in my in-laws, both of whom are disabled. I have a two story house that does not have a full bath downstairs and my in-laws can not climb the stairs easily to shower.

I want to put a full bath addition downstairs into the third bay of my garage. Problem is my slab is post tension. How should I go about installing a bathtub/shower? Should I use a raised floor? Pay someone to come in and do the drain into the slab professionally.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would call and get estimates. With out being able to see anything there is no way to tell what the easiest way to do it would be.

kgoings

Reaction score
Yea, we looked into the Chair Lift and an elevator. We have a unique floorplan with a spiral staircase, $22000 for a chiar lift and $24000 for an elevator.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the best way to go is to have the shower professionally installed. It should ad value to the home. The elevator or stair lift would not unless the buyer had immediate need for them. I have to believe that the new bathroom would cost far less the $24K..

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I just looked and there are many different stair glide companys and models that start at $2,000.00. How did you come up with $22,000.00.

Sounds like someone is trying to go on a nice vacation at your expense.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Probably the "spiral" thing. The guide rails would have to be custom made, I imagine, which would add some cost, but probably not $20K. I'm guessing this is a pretty fancy home, so a good contractor will want to install a correspondingly fancy system -- not only to make a buck, but to ensure that his work is consistent with the rest of the home. For that kind of money, though, I'd go with the elevator. I think that would add more resale value than a garage conversion.

Having said that, to get back to the original question... I would definitely hire a local pro contractor with a good reputation. You might call the original builder if he's still around. You've got some leeway in that the garage floor is undoubtedly lower than the main floor, so there may be an opportunity to simplify the plumbing somewhat. You'll want to raise the finish floor of the remodel to that of the main house, which will add some cost as well. A window here and there, maybe a skylight, door(s), ventilation, A/C, etc., will all add up. I'll bet you'll be looking at the $20K range no matter what you do.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks