Supply Line Size for Rain Shower Head

Users who are viewing this thread

santanaf

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been posting some over at JohnBridge.com, but was recently directed here as most of my questions thus far involve plumbing and not yet tile.

That being said I am in the midst of my bathroom renovation and am presently running my copper supplies. So far I have everything run to the sink, toilet, and to the base of the shower rough valve. The shower is a standup shower with two shower heads and a diverter in the rough in, one regular shower head and one 8" rain. All of my supplies are 3/4" copper. My shower valve and shower heads are both 1/2" IPS.

My concern is regarding enough volume to feed the rain shower head

My question is....

Should I use a 3/4" to 1/2" IPS for connection to the shower valve and then continue 1/2" copper up to the shower head

-OR-

Should I just use 3/4" copper throught, always using 3/4" to 1/2" IPS all over

-OR-

Should I be using 1/2" IPS galvanized at all points beyond the valve?

Thanks for your time and help.

Alex

Last edited:

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I was just researching the same thing... what size is the outlet for the shower head at the valve?

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Never mind, I just saw that the valve and shower head are 1/2"... I would say you'll need to use 1/2" since going from 1/2">3/4" isn't going to do you any favors since the water acn only pass throught the valve via that 1/2" connection...

But that's just my guess. ;)

santanaf

Reaction score
Well, I just got off of the phone with the manufacturer and they confirmed what I had more or less planned.

Actually, I am going to be using 3/4" copper. The 3/4" copper is slight larger than the 1/2" IPS, but the 1/2" IPS is larger than the 1/2" copper. Due to this reason they have advised to use 3/4" copper as long as the supply coming into the shower valve is 3/4" copper. This will allow more water to flow to the shower head, and since no shower head sold is more than 2.5 GPM, and I have good water pressure from the city, the 3/4" copper will allow the shower head to completely fill up. I will notice more of a pressure drop if someone flushes the toilet or uses the sink, but I can live with that.

So I will be using all 3/4" copper and 1/2" IPS to 3/4" copper female connections.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks