FYI: American standard compact EL

Users who are viewing this thread

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
I have been using a American standard compact EL for some time, but the design has a flaw at the exit flange area. It turns sharply and then has too small of a hole. I used a rotozip and cut off the flange to enlarge the hole.

I’ve had to do this twice since the first one cracked after 6 months.

It has been working for a long time without leaks, but I’m mainly thinking of the future and wondering if I can really leave it this way?

Or more importantly if they will ever fix the problem (if they haven’t already)?

rudytheplbr

36 Journeyman Plbr
Reaction score
Re: American Standard Water Closets

I don't have a single clue as to why A.S. put 2 90deg turns at the waste outlet of the water closet bowl, and to my mind it's ridiculous. Water is supposed to flow and efficiently. There is nothing efficient about 2 (count em) 90deg turns in a water closet flush tube. And Kohler does the same thing.

If I am recommending a new Water Closet I inform the client, that he wants neither brand, in the "competitive cost range". I ALWAYS recommend a w.c. with a smooth flow to exit.

One more thing, w.c. outlets used to be at least 2-1/2"dia., on these "competitive" units the exit hole approaches 2" in dia. Is some poor starving plumber designing these bowls so that he has work unplugging them after normal use or what?

I have even sent them, AM STD & Kohler e-mails inquiring why they have redesigned a good working w.c. to an ugly no-flow P.O.S. that they are trying to foist on an unsuspecting public. Can anyone enlighten me?:confused:

I hope so,
Rudy

EAT "WILD ALASKA SALMON" IT'S GOOD FOR YOU AND YOURS!!!:) :) :)

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
I think part of the problem is that they design to the golf ball standard.
I don’t know anyone that produces small hard round items.

They really should make a better testing standard that includes different shapes and densities.

Try flushing several 3-inch long 2-inch wide oblong pieces with some toilet paper thrown in. This particular design would fail as it has a pocket just after the sharp 90-degree bend downwards.

The pointed part sticks into the pocket. I removed the toilet while it was plugged just to see where it plugged.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks